Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 06:29 AM

Default KK overpair laydown on big pot

PartyPoker 15/30 9 handed

been at the table awhile and UTG+1 just joined and I had a note on him saying a little passive, Button i have a note as a little overagressive from what i have been watching him at the table.

I have K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the big blind.
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises, folded to Button who calls, sb folds, I 3-bet, UTG+1 caps it, we all call. (12.5 small bets)

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet, UTG+1 raises, button calls 2 cold, I 3-bet, UTG+1 caps it, we all call. (12.25 big bets)

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check, UTG+1 bets, button now raises, I fold

How was this fold, from the note on UTG+1 i was already fearing Aces, and then button wakes up and riases the turn, seems like I could be beat from both of them
Old 08-03-2004, 06:54 AM

Default Re: KK overpair laydown on big pot

"Overpair laydown", "big pot", and "Party Poker 15/30" should not appear in the same post.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:15 AM

Bet the turn, call a raise, considering folding to a 3-bet.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:19 AM

Tough situation-- but I usually fold here. It is too easy for you to have to pay even more bets to see the river and it is looking like you are in third place. If UTG wasn't labelled as passive I would be more inclined to call.

-rory
Old 08-03-2004, 12:07 PM

Given the action, I don't think button was stonecalling all these bets for his health, so folding to 2 cold on the turn was the correct play.

If you were asked to call 2 turn bets one at a time, it would be right to do so because you would have odds to river the K set.

Garland
Old 08-03-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Results

on the turn, UTG+1 just called.

River: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG+1 checks, button bets, utg+1 calls.

UTG+1 has TT, button had 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

King on the river, but it wouldnt have mattered. It kills me when I lay down a winner in a huge pot, definenlty a huge mistake. But what helped make that mistake was my notes being incorrect. In several occasions sometimes my note says one thing about a player when i played with him/her a few days ago. But then will suddenly change their tendencies and I find myself rewrite notes a few times. It seems the button suddenly went on tilt or something and UTG+1 played a lot more passively when i played with him in another session. Do these things happen to anyone else and do you always follow ur notes closely?
Old 08-03-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Results

The thing you have to realize is that your notes are based on imperfect and imcomplete information. There is no way I lay down this hand without extensive notes suggesting that would be the right play.

Making the mistake of calling down 3 extra big bets and losing is a tiny mistake compared to laying down the winning hand in a monster pot. Especially when you don't really have any legitimate reads on either player.

The button waking up on the turn would have made me think he was ahead of me, but in this case it wouldn't stop me from calling down.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:48 PM

First, I did peek at the results. But when I was reading your post a set of threes or sevens was one of the hands I give the button waking up on the turn. But I also thought maybe a weird two pair 9's over 7's, but cold calling 2 twice before the flop with 97s even on the button seems far fetched.

Another possibility is Jh 10h or J10s and after seeing you check on the turn, he raises to get you off your overpair so that he can get it heads up with the weaker player.

If you bet the turn, the button is not going to raise.

Even though UTG+1 is playing his hand like he has aces, I think you have to bet out on the turn, call his raise and call down on the river.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Results

I think part of the problem (not really a problem, but a dynamic that exists) is that when you're watching players, they are playing against other players and may be adjusting their play according to the players they're playing. So when you observe UTG+1 playing passive, he may be doing so because of another player in the hand. Or may be doing so simply because of his current holding and the texture of the board - where in another situation (with the same holding but a different board) or against another player he might play the same cards more aggressive.

I hope that makes some sense.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:40 PM

shut up, jerry