Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Mr.Fishy on a steal - raise, call or fold?

This necessarily the way I'd normally play A3s (I wouldn't normally play it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), but would appreciate your thoughts...

Mr.Fishy is maniac loose preflop, playing 70-80% of hands. Generally passive postflop, but has been caught previously betting the flop with absolutely nothing on a steal.

UTG+1 is pretty solid, plays like a 2+2er.

BB typical loose passive, will call down with hands that don't merit it, but doesn't tend to cold call a raise postflop.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO <font color="purple">(Mr.Fishy)</font> calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks,

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Mr.Fishy checks.

Turn: (2 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Mr.Fishy bets</font>,

Your play?

RH
Old 08-02-2004, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Mr.Fishy on a steal - raise, call or fold?

I would fold here. Even if he is willing to bet the flop with nothing here you have 2 players to act behind you. One of which is a solid player and you have nothign but A high in a small pot. If he is buying it then let him have it.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:36 PM

I'd say fold. I think you missed your chance to make a play for the pot on the flop when the board looked like a perfect candidate to hit a small blind limper hard.

You got a cheap look at a bunch of cards, and they didn't work out. If this guy's as bad as you indicate, you'll get several chances to punish him later when you're in a better position.

Martin
Old 08-02-2004, 05:41 PM

I probably fold here, because:

1. The pot is small

2. All I have is a weak ace and a 4-out straight draw w/ a paired and 2-flushed board. My outs are dirty.

3. This kinda looks like it might be a slowplay. Why didn't Mr fishy bet the flop?

right/wrong?

Incidentally, any suited ace is an easy complete for me here- am I too loose in the sb?
Old 08-02-2004, 05:42 PM

Solid player limping from UTG+1 suggests to me he is unlikely to have hit a hand with the seven. He would probably fold to any bet here unless he's got better than 2 overcards. If I can isolate Mr.Fishy there's a good chance I'm actually ahead + I've got 7 (probably clean?) outs.

Pretty small pot though...
Old 08-02-2004, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably fold here, because:

1. The pot is small

2. All I have is a weak ace and a 4-out straight draw w/ a paired and 2-flushed board. My outs are dirty.

3. This kinda looks like it might be a slowplay. Why didn't Mr fishy bet the flop?

right/wrong?

Incidentally, any suited ace is an easy complete for me here- am I too loose in the sb?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm inclined to agree with the fold consensus so far, particularly in light of point 1.

How would you play it if you had a flush draw as well?

(I reckon I complete with suited aces about 75% - don't know if that's a good or not though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

RH
Old 08-02-2004, 06:03 PM

I'd fold here. You don't know where anybody else is at before you make your call.

I alos agree with the person who said that the time to take your stab was on the flop. Although I probably would have checked it through on the flop too. Because IT is unlikely that the other three people would have folded. If there were just two other people in I would have taken a flier on the flop... (but I have noticed I have been doing this too often lately and am ready to label it a leak).

Like the other guy said if he is on a steal, then nice play by him. The pot is small, the board is weird, no one has shown any strength, and he has position.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:16 PM

Default Results

Well, as you probably guessed I (foolishly, it would seem) raised, knocked out two and was called by Mr.Fishy. River came K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], checked through and he turns over Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

ce la vie

RH