Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2004, 01:24 PM

Default Re: My thoughts on the ladies event

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read any of the other responses to your post.

Here is a woman who clearly didn't want to get sucked into all of this, but has decided to finally respond here now.

[ QUOTE ]
1) Of course I realize how I sounded in that interview. And I regret every word of what I said. Not that it is an excuse, but I was extremely tired and extremely aggravated at having literally just been knocked out that second. I had no editing from my brain to my mouth--which is, for sure, one of my many faults. If I could take back that interview, I would. But I can't. So I own the mistake completely and, hopefully, I will learn from it an become a much better person for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine that. Someone was cranky, weary, and pissed off, and vented a little bit. Big deal. I can't imagine what made you issue such a gracious retraction/apology here. Anyone can understand this reaction in this circumstance. If they say they don't, they're lying or haven't got a clue what the circumstance is all about.

You say DN apologized? That is good to hear, and is certainly a fact out of which you could have made a big production, yet opted to leave be. I suppose you didn't feel that the RGP and 2+2 communities were tops on your list of priorities vis a vis dirty laundry-airing. Good for you.

You make mention of some things being "very painful" and "very hard to deal with." Of course they are. It's like the damned grade school lunch room in here a lot of the time; it's easy to fall prey to the mob mentality.

Nobody wants to be the one getting pelted by spitballs and having their pigtails pulled.

One of the posters doesn't like what you wear or the way you sit.

I hope they don't tell the teacher. You might end up in detention.

Keep the faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why Rushmore is one of my favorite posters. The guy is always right on.

A coupla comments.. I don't view Poker Pro's as gods. I think the way they earn their living is really cool, but I don't think they should live under the same microscope as a US Senator or something. I'm tired of reading stuff about Poker Pro's as people...

I really don't care if Jennifer Harman is sick anymore than some other person walking down the street. (It sucks she's sick, but it just isn't ground breaking news to me.)

Fishman and Duke probably didn't act as graciously as they should have in certain moments, but those are both moments I have never been in, so I won't criticize them personally, maybe just say, they shouldn't have acted in that way.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:36 PM

Default Re: And to wrap this one up...

[ QUOTE ]
And to accuse her of "excessive celebration" after winning her first WSOP because she jumped into the arms of her brother? If that isn't the most ridiculous statement made by anyone on the boards, it's definitely close. First of all, it was clearly spontaneous. Second, I can only imagine the sense of accomplishment Annie felt after finally winning her first bracelet, especially doing it in an open event. And to be able to share that moment with her brother made it even better. I can only assume that if you ever win a WSOP bracelet, you will calmly shake the hand of whatever significant other/relative is there rooting you on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

Watching the episode and knowing Annie Duke's tournament history, I found this to be a genuinely nice moment, and in no way "in bad form."

Guys running around screaming "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!!" or doing the dogpound routine (see Arsenio Hall, ca. 10 yrs ago) look like idiots, and really oughta sit the hell down.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:54 PM

Default im sorry, but this is the worst post ive ever read

dude! you talk about her not acting like a "grown-up," but this post is [i]so[i] not-grown-up!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Re: im sorry, but this is the worst post ive ever read

[ QUOTE ]
dude!

[/ QUOTE ]
How juvenile...

[ QUOTE ]
you talk about her not acting like a "grown-up," but this post is so not-grown-up!

[/ QUOTE ]
How is stating my opinion (complimentary or not) with valid points to support it, in any way "not-grown-up"? And what about your retort is?
Old 08-02-2004, 12:21 PM

Default Re: A Question for Annie Duke

I have a question: if you could give up the expsosure, as a professional, would you? Would it be more profitable for you to be an unknown player? The reason I ask is that it seems all the press could get your opponents playing you much tougher (making big calls like in the Main Event at the WSOP).

Without the exposure, you wouldn't have to deal with random personal attacks as much either. I guess my question is, is the fame worth it to you? Do you think that it helps your bottom line or hurts it?

I have the utmost respect for you and your play and am just curious as to whether or not you would wish to be a little less visible if possible.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because you have tried, in even the slightest of ways, to compare an interview given on ESPN to the question of whether God exists, I have to conclude, based upon the information provided, that you logic is so out of touch with reality as to make your entire opinion irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]
My point was that we draw conclusions about everything in life from the information that is provided to us...could be from T.V., could be from our family, etc. Sorry if I touched a nerved by extending my point about God. But that's my opinion. Thanks for yours.

[ QUOTE ]
That you would actually fault someone (indeed, call her classless) for hugging her own brother after winning the WSOP, goes beyond illogical.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you didn't see the airing. She initially hugged Siedel and another fellow, which I think is absolutely fine. But do you think it was classy when she JUMPED into her brother's arms with her legs AROUND his waist? This is poker, isn't it? To each his/her own, I guess.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Watching the episode and knowing Annie Duke's tournament history, I found this to be a genuinely nice moment, and in no way "in bad form."

Guys running around screaming "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!!" or doing the dogpound routine (see Arsenio Hall, ca. 10 yrs ago) look like idiots, and really oughta sit the hell down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Sorry if mine doesn't conicide with yours...

As I stated in my closing argument, I think that running around in victory, or huddling up with "the crew" for high-fives, is very unclassy in a poker game. I made that point about Scott Fischman.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:59 PM

Thanks for your feedback. You have every right to think that my dislike for Annie Duke has no basis for support, cprhou. But even though Annie Duke is considered one of the best female players in today's poker world, in my opinion, AD is not a classy, professional poker player. I listed my reasons in another post...

I think her mannerisms & comments at the poker table (at least what I've heard) is what it all comes down to. It's how she CONVEYS herself on and off the table with that alpha-female attitude. The way she dresses "comfortable" in grungy attire, or how she jumped into her brother's arms with her legs wrapped around him, is just icing on the cake.

Many would compare Annie Duke's poker playing ability to the likes of Lederer, or Juanda, or Brunson, or Harman, or Violette...but can you really say that her table etiquette is even half as mature or "professional"?
Old 08-02-2004, 01:44 PM

I really am beginning to regret just about everything I had to say before the age of 35 or so.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Re: My thoughts on the ladies event

Annie,

I was very happy to see you win your first bracelet. Congrats.

Don't let the children in these forums bring you down. The internet takes our first amendment rights to the limit, and people will post all kinds of garbage without fear of the social repercussions that would take place if they expressed the same things in public.

Best of luck in the rest of '04.