Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2004, 02:36 AM

Default Hidden Kings up vs. possible flush...

$3/$6, $0.50 ante, $1 bring-in

I get red Kings in the hole with the 6d up. 5s brings it in, 7h folds, Tc calls, Ad calls, 9c folds, I call. I normally raise there.

4th:
I catch the 6s and bet the double bet. A 6 falls on someone else's hand, who folds. I am called only by: XX Tc 8c. Should I have bet $3, or ??

5th:

XX Tc 8c Kc
(Kh Kd) 6d 6s 8h.

I check and call. Should I usually bet here?
Old 08-01-2004, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Hidden Kings up vs. possible flush...

I think you give up too much by limping on third street.

When I hit my door card, I usually either bet double or check and fold. What you do here should depend on your overall game plan. Do you often bet the minimum? With what kinds of hands? A small bet might lure people in, but it also looks like you're trying to lure people in, so observant opponents should be somewhat less inclined to call it. I bet double when I want calls, and I also bet double when I don't want calls. If I can train people to fold every time I hit my door card, I think I'm ahead of the game.

Fifth street is tough. Against a reasonable opponent, it is fairly likely that you are up against a flush, and therefore drawing to a grand total of two outs. Well, you could catch running Eights which would be an additional .02 outs or something. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If you're sure of your opponent, you could bet and fold to a raise, but I wouldn't be too sure of most on-line $3/6 stud players. I'd hate to risk a free card if he doesn't have the flush, but it's not a complete disaster if he checks behind, because he's not going anywhere anyway. I tend to bet here, but checking and calling is just fine. I am very much in the habit of calling down open four-flushes with two pair, so I'm not going to fault someone for calling an open three-flush with two pair.

Maybe CJ can give you some pointers on spiking two-outers.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Hidden Kings up vs. possible flush...

believe it or not it is OK to just call on third with your kings in the right circumstances. if you are last and there are four callers who will not fold to a raise and who play decent hands then claling is OK.

on fourth you may as well bet the big bet because anyone who is going to call for 3 will call for 6.

i usually bet in this situation on fifth street. but if you had raised coming in and he called then i would be more likely to check and call. since you limped there is a better chance that he doesnt have a made flush yet and if he has something like a small pair in the hole with a fourflush you want to bet.

Pat