Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 11:06 PM

Default TP laydown at 20-40 Borgata in AC

I'm brand new to the table and post from the cutoff

MP opens it up with a raise, I call with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], SB calls, BB 3 bets, everyone calls. 12 small bets in the pot.

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets, MP calls, I raise, SB folds, BB 3 bets, MP cold calls the two bets, I call the BB's raise. 10.5 big bets in the pot

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

BB bets out, MP calls, I fold. 12.5 BB's in pot

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

BB bets, MP calls

Results later
Old 07-31-2004, 03:18 AM

Default Re: TP laydown at 20-40 Borgata in AC

hi miah

well, if you had hung in there, you would have won. you should have folded, however, on the flop when the BB flopped an over-caller. yeah these miah, unfortunately require a fold of the winning hand. this will happen occasionally. there's not a whole lot that can be done. you can't call down every single bet.

what did you throw away?.....A7s? i've thrown away better than that against a worse sort than they. they're throw aways miah. what did the BB have? a pair of tens? what did the other guy have? AJ!!!

A7 no good. did i say that you would have won?....not with that kicker.

so you want to know whether you hung onto your hand too long. can i answer now? yes. you hung onto your hand too long. kenny rogers didn't cover this area very well, but you need to know when to fold them. the answer is early. the earlier the better.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:34 AM

Seems like pretty sound thinking to me.

SGS
Old 07-31-2004, 07:09 AM

I would have 3-bet it preflop.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:14 AM

What were you hoping for? Quads? A preflop raiser to check?
Old 07-31-2004, 11:46 AM

My thoughts:

1. Preflop -- There's an argument for three betting here to get it heads up with an Ace. Calling isn't terrible, however. Folding would be wrong. Calling the BB is a no brainer.

2. Flop. I agree with the raise, since there's no reason anyone would have put you on a big hand. Once it is three-bet and cold called, however, I would think that I'd need a 7 to fall to win the pot. Calling the three bet with 20:1 odds hoping to turn a 7 is correct.

3. Turn: I agree with the fold. You are almost surely behind and have little chance of improving to the best hand.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Results

Thanks everyone

BB took it down with Jd Jh
MP had 5h 5c

I guess this is just a spot where sometimes you're going to lay down the winner, yet it's not a "bad" laydown. I'll chalk it up to not yet knowing the players in the hand.