Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Re: macintosh compatible sites

[ QUOTE ]
i'm considering a 17" powerbook, and i want to play 4 tables using vpc on it. does it run FULL SCREEN/FULL COLOR/AUDIO and well enough to do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Full Screen/Full color/Audio will not be a problem, but 4 tabling might. I've only tried it with two tables, and have seen enough system slowdown to discourage me from trying for more. This is on a dual 800mhz G4 desktop machine, so I'd expect similar results from a single processor G4 17" Powerbook.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:51 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i doubt vpc is able to run an entire vm multithreaded, so it's likely your second cpu was not helping. the current model is 1.5ghz, so if 2 is possible on yours i would think 4 would be on that.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:35 PM

I have a 15" powerbook, and it does not. it is both slower and the resolution is not high enough to fit 4 tables. especially for as much as you play, I would think you would be very disappointed in virtual pc.

HOWEVER, I think for almost everything else you'll love having a mac. I have really loved having a unix based system and will probably never go back to using a pc for anything but online poker.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-29-2004, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have really loved having a unix based system and will probably never go back to using a pc for anything but online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been a die hard Mac user for fifteen years at work and home, and online poker is the only thing that has ever made me consider getting a PC. Money can be very corrupting....
Old 07-29-2004, 07:37 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

what speed, and how much ram? i'll be 1.5ghz/1gb, and the resolution on the 17" is enough to play 4 with a little overlap.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:11 PM

powerbook 667Mhz with 768MB ram, mine's a little older/slower which may have something to do with the speed of vpc. if you do decide on a mac, let us know how smoothly it runs as I am thinking about getting a 1.5mhz w/1GB ram. the 17" ones are great, but personally I prefer the 15" as they're a little more portable.

I think we're going to see a lot of developers moving towards mac. at my job there are 9 programmers, and 8 of us are mac users. the bsd thing really opens it up a lot.
--turnipmonster
Old 07-31-2004, 03:41 AM

One thing I have found about Virtual PC is that it seems to run much faster with Windows 2000 than anything else. Win 98 is a dog by comparison, and I think Win XP requires more horsepower than my G4 800 MHz Mac can provide because it's also quite sluggish. Win 95 might be okay, but who wants to go back that far?

VPC is also faster under OS 9 than OS X, but VPC 6 has gone a long way toward evening out the gap. If you really care about the speed and have a machine that can still boot OS 9, give it a try. But on my G4 800 MHz desktop, the Paradise software runs plenty fast enough under OS X 10.3 (Panther). Ditto Planet, Party and Stars.

T
Old 07-31-2004, 05:49 AM

Seem like your trying to get a mule to win the Kentucky Derby Astro. Unless it's for other things and u just want to make sure it can be used in a pinch, why bother. Get a desktop pc with a dual video card and 2 19" or better monitors that will do 1200 X 1600 or better. After using this setup I will never go back to anything else. Up to 8 tables with no overlap. And the whole package probably costs less than the Mac too.

Steve
Old 08-02-2004, 04:24 PM

LAPTOP
Old 09-07-2004, 02:15 AM

I'm kind of a month late on this one, but I have a 17" PowerBook, and while I absolutely love it for everything else, there's not a chance in hell you'll be able to 4-table on it. The resolution is 1440 x 900, I believe. The overlap is okay horizontally, but half the tables are covered vertically. Hope I've been helpful, and this isn't too late.

clash153 @ PokerRoom