Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2004, 06:56 PM

Default Re: $3/$6 NLHE PS tptk out of position

OK, fair enough. I think Ray Zee's example is a little more reasonable though.

For your situation, a couple of thoughts:

You probably aren't up against a made straight. Someone would have to be playing K-10 or 7-9, both of which are unlikely from such early positions.

You may be up against two pair. Statistically speaking the odds of this are far below 50%. In those situations where you'll get raised and raised big (since they fear the straight). On a big raise, you let go of your hand. I think this situation is too infrequent to preclude your betting out on this flop.

Middle pair and a straight draw. I just read this interesting article on combination draws:

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_maga...php?a_id=14156

which is essentially what your opponent would be playing in this situation. A big raise from a combination hand like you suggest seems to be incorrect for reasons explained in the article. I think your bet would just get called. Everyone else could fold and you can bet enough on the turn to kill his odds to draw.

In Ray Zee's situation, I'm assuming this is a flop where there was little to no preflop raising (otherwise what are you doing in the hand with A-9?). In that example you're up against a lot more bad hands including:

- Slowplayed overpairs.
- Sets. I could see people limping with 7-7, 8-8, 9-9.
- Nut straight. I know I'll limp with J-10.
- Two pair. People would limp a drawing hand like 8-9 suited and make top two pair instead.

None of those are problems with the flop. I think I still like betting the flop.