Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 11:25 AM

Default bottom set (22).

hi,

here is a hand I played last night. I don't know how bad (or not) I played them and I really need some input for every street. I think I played it too weak.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) converter

saw flop|saw showdown

MP2 ($153.60)
CO ($121.20)
Button ($36.25)
SB ($53.15)
BB ($85.50)
UTG ($300)
UTG+1 ($39.35)
Hero ($135.70)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
2 folds, Hero calls $1, MP2 calls $1, 2 folds, SB completes, BB checks,

Flop: ($4.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $3, MP2 calls $3, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($10.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets $5, MP2 raises to $15, Hero calls $10.

At this moment I think he can be on AJ. Biggest error is the call I think, I should have reraise right ?

River: ($40.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)

Now the board pair on a flush so it's good for me except it's a J and I really didn't want to see this card. So I go for a cheap showdown.

Hero checks, MP2 bets $25, Hero calls $25.

I think a lot and decide to call. A push I would have fold !
a reraise is out of question here right ? considering his turn raise and the final bet (not a pot bet though)

Final Pot: $90.50

any comment ?
Old 07-30-2004, 11:30 AM

Default Re: bottom set (22).

i would have been a lot more confident in your hand. i'd bet more on the turn, and when he raised, i'd reraise. if you get all your chips in there, you're very likely to be ahead. part of my brain is shouting ("don't go broke in an unraised pot!"), but there are enough hands (JT, AJ, AT, pair + f/draw) that you're way ahead of that you should want to get all your chips in.

on the river, you've passed any flush or straight, and are only behind to a small smattering of hands. i'd raise the river, and if he had pushed, i'd call. but i don't play in deep-stack games much... i'll be curious what others think.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:09 PM

another thing important (about my play) is I had lost nearly 250$ in the previous 2hours so I am probably less confident in pushing on the river with this hand. (but ended even for the night so [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).
Old 07-30-2004, 12:18 PM

Hmmm, crappy river card. I doubt that he was drawing to the runner runner flush, so we can probably count that one out. As you mentioned, the biggest risk is something like AJ. How long have you been at the table? AJ is borderline hand in MP that many people would raise with PF, especially with just one limper into him. On the other hand, is he;s a crappy player then he may limp with something like JTo in MP. Don't forget about that hand.

I agree you HAVE to reraise this turn. He's showing exceptional strength. When you just call, you don't know whether his river bet is exploiting that weakness, or if he just drew to the better hand. Reraise to something like $30 and be willing to push it all in if he keep reraising.

River: Ouch. Time to minimize your losses but maximize your gains. At this point, the only hands that you're ahead on the villain are AT, KJ, QJ, or some other random trip J hand. There's certainly a good chance you're ahead when he bets. However, I don't think any one of these hands would call a significant raise. This is one of those situations where you shouldn't raise if a reraise makes you want to vomit. Your reasoning on the river is fine.

Biggest issue, like you said, is the turn. Bet him for all he's worth while you're ahead.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:18 PM

I hope you didn't lose $250 in $25 NL in the span of two hours (or any time span for that matter!!!)
Old 07-30-2004, 12:21 PM

I'm not sure why you'd recommend to call the villain's push on the river. What can the hero possibly have that beats any hand reraising this on the river? The only one I can think of is KJ for the top trips. He doesn't have a flush and would most likely not bluff reraise a missed straight draw. I think the call on the river is fine.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:33 PM

My guess is villian has JT and caught a 4 outer against you. Rough one. The reason I DON'T think he has QK for the straight is that many opponents like to raise the flop with the OESD+overcards to try and get a cheap turn & river or even push you off some sort of hand.

Get your money in on the turn...I might c/r all in or lead out small and push on top of his raise. Either way you got the flop you were looking for, so go with it.

The Doc
Old 07-30-2004, 12:35 PM

nah the 250$ were from .5/1 and 1/2 but that was just to point out I was probably not 100% in the hand.

btw it's $1 BB not .5, the converter is wrong.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why you'd recommend to call the villain's push on the river. What can the hero possibly have that beats any hand reraising this on the river? The only one I can think of is KJ for the top trips. He doesn't have a flush and would most likely not bluff reraise a missed straight draw. I think the call on the river is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
JK
JQ
KQ
J9
K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

and a number of hands that no half-decent player would ever reraise with.

i think this is a spot where pokertracker's vol. put $ in pot stat would be useful. the hands that beat you are all premium (or at least "good"), while there are a lot of bad hands (e.g., J7) that a bad player might get overexcited about.

i'm not saying this is an obvious reraise or anything - calling would be ok. but i think reraising is a little better.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:06 AM

Default RESULT

he had QcTc