Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2004, 05:08 PM

Default anything I could have done differently?

Ok, im gonna try to recall this hand as accurately as possible fomr this morning.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I raise and 3 others see the flop with me.

Flop comes:
5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet out and one guy folds, other guy calls, another guy raises. I call and the last guy folded.

Turn comes: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I am still looking good here and bet. He raises, I call. I know I have him beat here and he is trying to buy the pot from me.

River comes:
10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I knew he was chasing the club flush and I knew he did not get it. So I bet and he called. He turned over:
(RESULTS IN WHITE BELOW)"
<font color="white">I have a pair of aces and he has two pair. He had 9 and 10 of clubs looking for the flush. </font>

I ended up losing my remianing money on the table becasue I was so shortstakced form there on out. Could I have done anything else? Wasnt it just pure luck?? Also, it didnt help that he was a fish and busted out a few hands later, just wasting my money!
Old 07-29-2004, 05:19 PM

Default Re: anything I could have done differently?

You need to reraise both the flop and the turn. Chances are if you reraise the flop it would be checked to you on the turn and then you bet out. Make him pay to draw on you. He didn't hit his main draw and got lucky, it happens, thats poker....but BE AGGRESSIVE.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:27 PM

theres a few details left out here but thats ok. The only thing I would have done differently and maybe its too weak would be to check-call the turn. You cant be sure he has 2 pair or is on the flush draw. I can see you wanting to bet the turn because of the free card, but think the river is a check-call. And yes it was pure luck. It stinks one of his outs hit, get em next time
Old 07-29-2004, 05:30 PM

Your narrative is full of monday morning quarterbacking. On the turn you say you know you have him beat and he's trying to buy the pot? You have this ironclad read, wherein you'll win this hand the vast majority of the time, and you know he'll call any bets you put in on the turn, and so you call?

There are lots of hands where someone will call (what was your position preflop? What was his?), then raise this flop, then raise this turn. Maybe he has a set. Maybe he has two pair. Maybe he has a worse ace. Maybe he has a straight. Maybe he has a flush draw.

I ended up losing my remianing money on the table becasue I was so shortstakced form there on out.

If you're shortstacked, you can rebuy.

Could I have done anything else?

You could have played the hand better. You still would have lost.

Wasnt it just pure luck??

He had a decent hand on the flop, a strong hand on the turn and a winning hand on the river. There is no place postflop where he should have folded this. And it is quite possible he played decently preflop too.

Also, it didnt help that he was a fish and busted out a few hands later, just wasting my money!

He didn't waste your money. When you lost the hand, it became his money.

You're going to want to treat your opponents with respect. It'll make other people more forgiving of your errors.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:39 PM

I would also suggest you check out this Link for some posting hints. If you would like us to evaluate your play and provide feedback, don't bias the question.

That said, the only thing I think you could have done differently is bet more aggressively when you were ahead. You stayed strong though and bet the river but I think you need to put in the last raise each round if you honestly feel you are ahead. Re-raise the flop, lead out on the turn and river. Actually, unless he was a real lunatic, you might have saved yourself half a bet here by re-raising the flop because he might not have raised the turn. My 2c.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:52 PM

Go for a check-raise on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
He raises, I call. I know I have him beat here and he is trying to buy the pot from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you "know" he's trying to buy the pot, RE-RAISE!

[ QUOTE ]
I ended up losing my remianing money on the table becasue I was so shortstakced form there on out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this a tournament? You can always re-buy. Stack size does not matter in limit play.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:53 PM

Go for a check-raise on the flop.

Why? Just bet.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:56 PM

And re-raise the raiser.

You are getting more money in with a positive expectation for youself to win the hand.