Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 12:15 AM

Default Re: Moneymaker New DVD

I don't like him.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:17 AM

I agree that it will make more money than you think.

1) to most of the general population, Moneymaker is the champion until they watch on ESPN that Fossilman is the new winner.

2) I could be completely wrong about this, and I HOPE I am because I respect Greg Raymer and his game COMPLETELY.. but I feel like Moneymaker will still retain more popularity even AFTER they see Raymer's win and the fact that it was for twice as much money and with a 3X as big a field...
He will still be more popular than Raymer...
Why? His NAME.. It just has a ring to it, and people remember it.
I may be way off, and I hope I am.. but I'm not sure if fossilman or Raymer will "stick" with the public like moneymaker....
Old 07-29-2004, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that it will make more money than you think.

1) to most of the general population, Moneymaker is the champion until they watch on ESPN that Fossilman is the new winner.

2) I could be completely wrong about this, and I HOPE I am because I respect Greg Raymer and his game COMPLETELY.. but I feel like Moneymaker will still retain more popularity even AFTER they see Raymer's win and the fact that it was for twice as much money and with a 3X as big a field...
He will still be more popular than Raymer...
Why? His NAME.. It just has a ring to it, and people remember it.
I may be way off, and I hope I am.. but I'm not sure if fossilman or Raymer will "stick" with the public like moneymaker....

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you 100% -- his name is pure gold to John Q. Sixpack.

Also, that is when a lot of people started getting into poker, so he will always be the "first champion" in their mind, bringing back the nostalgia factor like he's Mickey Mantle.

He's also a guy that came out of nowhere and made a name for himself -- and, again, what a great name....

You won't see his stock drop too much any time soon. He is, as I said, to many people the original poker champion.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
"Poker History Started in 2003"
Old 07-29-2004, 09:45 AM

I think you are mostly right about the name, but I think it's also in conjunction with just the way he comes accross... I suspect Fossilman won't have quite the same 'regular guy' aura that Moneymaker has (I could be wrong).

Imagine if Moneymaker and Varkoni had each other's names. Varkoni is too much of a dweeb that a name isn't gonna help him much... Moneymaker without the name is still a kinda cool regular guy that won the big tourney and would probably still have some popularity. But with the name... well I guess it couldn't be more perfect.

Moneymaker is the right guy with the right name at the right time.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Moneymaker without the name is still a kinda cool regular guy that won the big tourney and would probably still have some popularity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moneymaker is cool? Wow...you and I have a totally different definition of cool.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:59 AM

woulda thought one could read between the lines a bit here...

He's cool in the sense he's just a beer-drinking, regular schmuck who came outta nowhere to won the big tourney. He's not slick, he not a dweeb... just a regular guy. That's gotta appeal to a lot of regular folk, no?

I didn't mean to suggest I thought he was particulary cool or that he's cool in the way that say Devilfish, El Diablo or you are cool.