Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2004, 11:39 AM

Default What to do with this overpair?

I have JJ in middle position. 15/30 party game. The first 3 players limp. I limp as well. The player behind me raises. Everyone but two call the raise and a solid player in front of me re-raises. The original raiser now caps. 7-way capped pot.

The flop is 278 rainbow. It is checked to me and I check as well. The preflop capper now bets. Someone raises and two people call the raise. and now the solid player 3-bets.

What's your play?
Old 07-27-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Re: What to do with this overpair?

Yes, you should be whipped and beat for limping with JJ on Party.

You now need to 3-bet.

Edit: oops, I didn't realize that you're facing 3 bets cold. Yikes, you really put yourself in a horrible position by your play up to this point. As bad as it sounds, I would call 3 cold to see if the raiser behind you will cap. If he doesn't, the 3-bettor in front of you will almost always bet the turn and you need to raise there.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you should be whipped and beat for limping with JJ on Party.

You now need to 3-bet.

Edit: oops, I didn't realize that you're facing 3 bets cold. Yikes, you really put yourself in a horrible position by your play up to this point. As bad as it sounds, I would call 3 cold to see if the raiser behind you will cap. If he doesn't, the 3-bettor in front of you will almost always bet the turn and you need to raise there.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. I don't usually consider 3-betting with JJ against UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2 limpers. I'll give it more consideration in the future.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:42 PM

Raise preflop.

Three bets cold to you on the flop? Well I know the pot's enormous, but to me
chance of bigger pocket pair + chance of set + chance of overcard hitting turn/river = fold on the flop. Not to mention all sorts of cards that complete straights like 6, 9, J (even 4, this is party).
Maybe with QQ or better I'm at least seeing the turn but JJ or lower, I'm out. Like Nightwish said, raising preflop just makes this easier to play.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:01 PM

Fold.

-rory
Old 07-27-2004, 02:02 PM

Btw, 4 people called 2 bets on the turn and the river was checked around.

The winning hand was TT. Other hands were 46o, 9Ts, A8o.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's interesting. I don't usually consider 3-betting with JJ against UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2 limpers. I'll give it more consideration in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, 4 people called 2 bets on the turn and the river was checked around.

The winning hand was TT. Other hands were 46o, 9Ts, A8o.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-27-2004, 02:38 PM

Hi Whip/Beat,

If there a reason that you did not raise preflop? It seems like a raise situation in middle position to drive out some callers behind you. As the others have said, it may help you play this hand better, for you will be not just another limper, but a raiser as well, which could possibly change your opponents' play also.

When checked to on the flop, I would most definitely bet, hoping for a raise behind me to drive out one or two players. Granted, the odds are enormous, but worth a shot as well for you could very well be ahead. Cold-calling 3 bets on the flop never sounds appealing, unless you have the nuts and will cap. At this particular point in which you've got yourself in, it is hard to say what I would do. Especially with solid player's three-bet involved, it seems like you are behind to a higher pocket pair or even a set. Do you see why I suggested the raise preflop and the bet on the flop?

I would call and pray to the poker gods for a jack.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:43 PM

Wow, this is a crazy game! Can I safely assume that the solid player held TT? Looks like the poker gods WERE listening, for they DIDN'T give you the jack for someone's straight. Raise preflop.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, this is a crazy game! Can I safely assume that the solid player held TT? Looks like the poker gods WERE listening, for they DIDN'T give you the jack for someone's straight. Raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

No the solid player had 9Ts. I like his play before the flop (limping and then 3-betting against a large field). I also like his play on the flop. I actually think TT overplayed his hand as did A8o.

The reason I didn't raise with JJ is because I figured that there would be at least 6 people seeing the flop (the 3 early position limpers and the 2 blinds). So, I basically looked at my hand as needing to flop a set to continue for most flops. I wanted to flop cheaply. Now, when it was raised behind me before the flop and 3-bet in front of me, I was very tempted to cap for set value.

The main reason I folded on the flop was because of the solid player's 3bet with the 9Ts. I put him on either the 9Ts, 2pair (78s), or a set. That's the only thing that made sense from his limp/3bet preflop and his check/3bet postflop. So, if I was actually ahead, I'd have to win unimproved against a large field.