Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2004, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Protecting your hand question

I think I know enough about human nature to believe that there will be X% of the readers out there who will start cold-calling raises with Qxs because they now "know" a way to get the most out of the hand post-flop.

The text makes it very clear that the preflop coldcall is a mistake. Ed is using the two mistakes (the coldcall and the flop call) to illustrate that of the two, the flop call is the bigger mistake.

Elsewhere in the text he clearly discusses the relative costs of preflop versus postflop mistakes.

If there is an X% who do that, it will be a very small number of people who didn't read the book thoroughly.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:36 AM

That sounds reasonable. I'll accept the fact that since I haven't read the book, just this thread, that I've missed a good deal of context. That and I'm sure Ed didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Besides, however small, that X% is welcome in any game I'm in. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2004, 03:46 PM

That sounds reasonable. I'll accept the fact that since I haven't read the book, just this thread, that I've missed a good deal of context. That and I'm sure Ed didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Kurn,

Let me give you the context for this example. It appears in the Introduction section to the Postflop Concepts chapter. The idea of the example was to show people who think they play well simply because they play tightly preflop that they are probably making a ton of expensive postflop errors.

[ QUOTE ]
[W]hile it is relatively easy to judge good preflop play from bad, it is much harder to do so for postflop play. Look at this hand from the perspective of a poor player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then we relate the hand... Q7s cold-call... flop call.

[ QUOTE ]
Our hapless hero has made two plays so far, and he has gotten them both wrong. Most people instantly identify his preflop play as an error. It is clearly incorrect to cold-call the raise with queen-seven. But a much smaller percentage of poker players could identify his error on the flop. Yet, of his two mistakes, his flop error is worse by far!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-27-2004, 04:14 PM

Ed,

Yeah, I realized after I'd made the first couple of replies that there had to be something left out of the original post.

Is the book going to on the shelves here in the east anytime soon or should I just order it? I drop into Borders a couple of times per week and keep getting disappointed.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:15 PM

Is the book going to on the shelves here in the east anytime soon or should I just order it? I drop into Borders a couple of times per week and keep getting disappointed.

It'll probably be available at Borders on the East Coast by next Monday. Though that's just a guess obviously. But Mason shipped the books to Borders' warehouse last Monday.... that's all I really know for fact.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:29 PM

So what's my play if I raise and get 3-bet by UTG+1? My first instinct would say call the 3-bet and fold the turn unimproved if he bets into me again...Standard?
Old 07-27-2004, 04:33 PM

So what's my play if I raise and get 3-bet by UTG+1? My first instinct would say call the 3-bet and fold the turn unimproved if he bets into me again...Standard?

If everyone folds, the preflop raiser 3-bets you, and you call, the pot will now contain 8 big bets. The turn is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. When he bets, you are getting 9-to-1. Should you fold?
Old 07-27-2004, 05:02 PM

Grácias