Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2004, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Best No Limit Hold\'em Structure for Small Home Games?

[ QUOTE ]
I did have a sunday tournament yesterday, $20 buy-in got you 500 in chips, anytime below 500 a rebuy of $10 would get you 500 chips, up until level 4. Before level 5 started you were able to add-on 1000 chips for $20. Blinds started at 10/20 and increased every 20 minutes. It was a great tournment with some very decent play. 8 players in all, prize pool hit $290, paid the top 3 (60% for first, 30% for second and 10% for third).

[/ QUOTE ]

For my 0.02c worth, I'd suggest 50%/30%/20%. The way you have it, with a buy-in and a re-buy 3rd place is still losing money.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:42 PM

How did having a rebuy at 50% of buy-in effect the game? I'd expect that a lot of people would limp in w/junk, go to 480 chips, and spend an extra 10$ to get to 1k.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:50 AM

The cheaper rebuy was interesting, I'm not sure of anyone rebuying more then once or twice, although they were more than welcome to. The way I thought of it is, if they are going to play loose because it's so cheap to get back in, let them, it's building the prize pool and the chips that they are carelessly throwing away are going somewhere, and hopefully the chips are going on my stack [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Don't get me wrong a few people did exactly that, but then again, that is a typical strategy in a rebuy tournament. To me, it didn't seem to help them very much, although the $20 add-on for 1000 was a must.