Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Pocket Pairs

How do you play them? Personally, I play all of them to the flop at least, and I'm afraid that might be a rather big leak of mine.

Of course I raise JJ-AA, but what about 99-TT?

And 22-88? Do you see the flop even for a raise? Do you even bother to limp in with 33 or 22?
Old 07-26-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Pocket Pairs

Hey malarky,

At low limits you should be playing all pocket pairs (though obviously if UTG raises and you're next with 33, you should probably fold). You should be raising TT and I also raise 99. I'll limp with the rest of the pairs unless I'm first in from MP or LP in which cases I'll raise with hands like 88, 77 etc...
Old 07-27-2004, 02:27 AM

99 and TT are strong hands, raise them. A year ago, I didn't care much for three-betting TT but I have changed my mind. I now play TT and 99 pre-flop in much the same way I play JJ.

SpaceAce
Old 07-27-2004, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I now play TT and 99 pre-flop in much the same way I play JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you really 3-betting 99 by default? Is that working out? 99 and TT are good hands, but I don't think you can play them like JJ. JJ is a favorite to be an overpair on the flop (slight), lower PP are not.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:14 AM

after you 3-bet your TT or 99, if the flop produces an overcard (or 2 or 3), you keep hitting them hard if you don't hit a set? or do you slow down?
Old 07-27-2004, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
after you 3-bet your TT or 99, if the flop produces an overcard (or 2 or 3), you keep hitting them hard if you don't hit a set? or do you slow down?

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't make the same mistake of most low limit opponents in thinking that you're not allowed to fold. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2004, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't make the same mistake of most low limit opponents in thinking that you're not allowed to fold. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something that I've been catching myself doing lately. Basically, getting into the "I'm better than these fish -- I don't need a hand to win! I'll beat them with the sheer power of my poker ability!" Part of playing well is folding well.

As far as 99 and TT, I really don't understand why people undervalue them so much -- they are two of my biggest winners (about 1BB/hand for each).
Old 07-27-2004, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as 99 and TT, I really don't understand why people undervalue them so much -- they are two of my biggest winners (about 1BB/hand for each).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the same boat. 99 and TT are way up there, as are JJ and QQ. AA and KK ... well, not so much.

I think for me it's because 99-JJ are all very powerful starting hands, but they are also relatively painless to release if the cards come down bad. Whereas AA and KK, well, I really need some convincing to throw those ones out, and that tends to eat up a lot of my preflop advantage when I end up behind.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AA and KK ... well, not so much.

I think for me it's because 99-JJ are all very powerful starting hands, but they are also relatively painless to release if the cards come down bad. Whereas AA and KK, well, I really need some convincing to throw those ones out, and that tends to eat up a lot of my preflop advantage when I end up behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. Prior to July, KK was actually a loser for me because I couldn't let it go.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:47 AM

I will call 1 bet with a pp. depending on how many limpers there are and, my position.