Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2004, 04:31 AM

Default A little bit about money.

Hey. I'm new to this website and I'm not exactly sure that this topic should even be here but please bear with me. I am a 19 year old playing texas hold'em. I play 15-30 online. I've just started playing seriously recently and I'm doing very well. I try to make $1000 a day and then I just quit. Its actually a pretty cool job because I usually play for about 1/2 hour to 2 1/2 hours per day and the rest of the day I just chill. Anyways, my question is for people that have made quite a bit playing online poker. At last count, I have made $42,615 dollars for the year. I withdrawal money to my neteller account and then it goes straight to my bank account. I have a few questions that need to be answered. Does the IRS know about the money I'm making? Am I going to have to pay a crapload in taxes next year? Somebody told me about offshore accounts. Should I look into putting my money in there? I'm just trying to prevent Uncle Sam from taking my money if you know what I'm saying. Thanks a lot for your help. Sorry if this is in the wrong area.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:59 AM

Default Re: A little bit about money.

Maybe the people at Lies.com can help you. Im sure they have a forum as well.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:54 AM

I assure you that I am not lying. What good would it do for me to lie? Do I get cool points or something?
Old 07-27-2004, 07:54 AM

Your money is taxable.

Do a IRS-search on this site and you'll see lots of posts on this very subject -- but your form will have a slot about how to properly pay your taxes.

Realize that many will tell you not to -- but it's the right thing to do.

Thank you, by the way, for doing so well online, as it will fund the coffers of our American machinery and potentially make it that in 70 years when they allow me to start collecting Social Security that the monies will (maybe) be there.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 07-27-2004, 09:52 AM

wow you make a grand in half an hour a day, why not play five hours and make ten grand? i guess that is too much work.

seriously though, 42k is not even close to enough money to risk tax fraud over. pay uncle sam already.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow you make a grand in half an hour a day, why not play five hours and make ten grand? i guess that is too much work.

seriously though, 42k is not even close to enough money to risk tax fraud over. pay uncle sam already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or move to Canada, where gambling is tax exempt.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:53 AM

Uncle Sam takes everyone's money. Get used to it. If you're making $500/hr playing poker, why even sweat it? Just pay your fair share. Chances are, the IRS won't catch you if you don't pay it. But they might, and if they do, you are screwed. They won't allow to you play online poker in a federal prison. So take that risk if you want, but I'm not advocating it.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:31 AM

I was thinking that as well. Legitimate question, bogus post.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:38 AM

Don't worry. I've got a feeling that by Dec. 31, your tax obligations will have lessened. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2004, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey. I'm new to this website and I'm not exactly sure that this topic should even be here but please bear with me. I am a 19 year old playing texas hold'em. I play 15-30 online. I've just started playing seriously recently and I'm doing very well. I try to make $1000 a day and then I just quit. Its actually a pretty cool job because I usually play for about 1/2 hour to 2 1/2 hours per day and the rest of the day I just chill. Anyways, my question is for people that have made quite a bit playing online poker. At last count, I have made $42,615 dollars for the year. I withdrawal money to my neteller account and then it goes straight to my bank account. I have a few questions that need to be answered. Does the IRS know about the money I'm making? Am I going to have to pay a crapload in taxes next year? Somebody told me about offshore accounts. Should I look into putting my money in there? I'm just trying to prevent Uncle Sam from taking my money if you know what I'm saying. Thanks a lot for your help. Sorry if this is in the wrong area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's the part where you whip it out on the table???