Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2004, 02:02 PM

Default Question about sitting out

I have been playing a lot of SNG's lately and a few times I have seen someone double up in the first few hands and then sit out for 15 - 30 minutes.

I am just curious if any has any thoughts on this.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Question about sitting out

I was wondering the same.. anyone have thoughts?
Old 07-26-2004, 11:21 AM

Yeah... It's stupid.

A good player can take any hand and play it the best way (most positive EV). Hypothetically, what if you got AA and there were 5 all-ins in front of you, if you weren't there, you'd autofold. If you're there, you call.

I find that people who try this idiotic technique are not disciplined enough poker players. They think, "wow I have all these chips but I know if I don't go away from the computer I'll have to call raises with 86s because Im a big stack."

I think anyone who makes a pattern of doubling up then leaving--is simply making a bad decision.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:28 AM

I've only seen a guy make the money folding like that once. We're four handed, and the button just lost a huge pot. He has barely more than one BB. It had been said earlier we should just let the sitting out guy blind out... he's UTG this hand with less than a BB. I say "We should let the UTG blind out, then we all make the money, I hate when they sit out." Button promptly decides to push his K9s, and I say, "No way am I folding this" and call with my QQ. Shortie busts in 4th, and UTG busts the next hand for third.

Does anyone push as the button there?
Old 07-26-2004, 11:29 AM

I do this sometimes if I need to go smoke a cigarette. That's plus +EV for me so I will have proper dose of nicotine for when the stakes rise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2004, 11:50 AM

A friend and I did a test about a year ago on Party.

I entered 3 $5 NL SnG tournaments and never played a hand. After I registered, I simply closed the window. About an hour later, I received an email saying that I had finished in the money. Both were 3rd place finishes. Not bad, huh?

I've seen what you've seen. I think that its just guys who aren't really confident in their ability and hope to slide into the money.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:53 AM

I think it is dumb for them to sit out to, but I just wanted to see what other people thought. Out of those 2 one of them ended up cashing mostly because he or she got lucky.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only seen a guy make the money folding like that once.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen it several times. I've knocked out players on the bubble by being aggressive when there is an absent player. Sometimes the short stacks get tired of the aggression and call/play back at me when I have a real hand.

[ QUOTE ]
It had been said earlier we should just let the sitting out guy blind out... he's UTG this hand with less than a BB. I say "We should let the UTG blind out, then we all make the money, I hate when they sit out." Button promptly decides to push his K9s, and I say, "No way am I folding this" and call with my QQ. Shortie busts in 4th, and UTG busts the next hand for third.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are not supposed to say anything about letting the absent player blind down. Nor are you supposed to suggest checking it down when a short stack is all-in. It is collusion either way.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:08 PM

Oh, absolutely. There is no doubt that sitting out when you are able to play is a poor strategy, although you could argue that for people who HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THEIR BODILY FUNCTIONS they might opt for this 'keeping myself in check' approach.

In any case, the simply example is AA. No matter how large stacked you are, would you ever want to pass up a chance to play AA?

I always see people at SNGs complaining about how unfair it is that people can sit out, and that they should be disqualified. I've even seen people actually reason that it gives those people an advantage. All it does is tell me that there are at least 2 people at the table who should be easy money, and not just 1. Make that 3 if I count myself.