Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2004, 04:34 PM

Default Cycling Question (Probably for \"Six\" to answer)

Can anyone explain this to me? This excerpt was from a news story:
[ QUOTE ]
The Italian was trying to catch a group of six riders who, in an effort to win, pulled away from the main pack early in the stage through eastern France.

Armstrong went tearing after him. When he and Simeoni caught the escape group, the riders there told Simeoni he was not welcome. They knew that their chances of winning the stage were nil if Armstrong stayed with them. Simeoni eventually demurred, breaking off his attack and returning to the main pack -- with Armstrong.

``Armstrong demonstrated to the entire world what type of person he is,'' Simeoni said. ``It is not reasonable that a great champion doesn't give a chance to a small rider like me and the others. ... I suffered an injustice from him while everyone was watching.''

Juan Miguel Mercado, who was part of the escape group Simeoni wanted to join, went on to win, beating fellow Spaniard Vicente Garcia Acosta in a sprint at the finish at Lons-Le-Saunier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the underlying problem between the two riders, but I am curious as to this racing dynamic of one cyclist able to "reel in" another. Also, what is this business about "the riders there told Simeoni he was not welcome." What does that mean? Do you have to cycle within your own group or something?

P.S. I realize I know so little about this sport that it was foolish for me to bet on it this year (I bet even money L.A. would lose).
Old 07-23-2004, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Cycling Question (Probably for \"Six\" to answer)

Hi,

The breakaways were trying to get their 15 minutes of fame with a stage win.

Thus the other 6 wanted Lance to leave and they knew he was only there because Simeoni was there. So Simeoni had to go in the other riders minds.

The reasoning is like this.

The peloton WOULD chase after Lance as they other riders can't let him get to far in front of with out risking their chances of winning.

The peloton WOULDN'T chase after 7 blanks this late in the tour because what matters more is their distance from Lance not who wins this stage.

MarkV.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:42 PM

So what is the "injustice" to which Simeoni referred?

-McGee
Old 07-23-2004, 06:19 PM

Hi,

Its in his own mind.

To relate this to poker terms...

Your short stacked on the bubble WSOP and get delt AA. You raise all in and the chip leader calls in the BB calls getting 1:5 on his money and busts you with say 53o.

Obviously BB could have just folded as has a very bad hand and NO need to gamble it up.

So Simeone wanted to win a stage and Lance prevented that and Simeone felt Lance should have 'graciously let' him have a chance at winning the stage since Lance didn't need another stage win and didn't need to win that stage to increase his chances of winning the tour.

The 'correct' race strategy for Lance was to let the blanks break away and stay safe and snug in the Peloton as none of the blanks could threaten Lance's lead.

MarkV.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the answer. I should have posted the whole article. The Italian guy has a long-running fued with Armstrong over doping allegations. Armstrong personally wanted to see to it that guy did not win a stage.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:27 PM

Hi,

I left that bit out as his comments make him look like an ass regardless of the bad blood, pun not intended, between them.

Its a sporting event, there is no 'deserve' and there is no 'injustice' without outside interference and there was none of that in play here.

MarkV.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:10 PM

Hey All,

Since I was named in the title I'll pop in here just to say MVicuna has it spot on. The move could be considered arrogant, since the effort Lance made to bridge to the breakaway with Simeoni was essentially 'wasted,' and it was definitely calculated to cut out Simeoni's chances. Unjust? Not really. Simeoni was a prick in the press to Lance, as well as in other areas, Lance was repaying the favor.

-Tim