Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: When do the SnGs get gooood ???

A lot of great answers here. I hear people say all the time that night games are so much better. (They ARE) but never an specifics discussed.

Seems the agreement is..

about 7PM EST is when the games really start to relax and it gets incressingly better till about 1AM EST. At which point its hit or miss. A lot of drunk players and sharks that smell the gin blossoms mist likely.

Its quite possible the games a little earlier are also not so bad because of the high volume, but I will test this factor out myself.

Once again, I have no intentions of moving to England. I have a friend in London that envies me deeply for living (well I used to) in San Francisco. She is mad I gave it up to move to Vegas.

Part of my poker dream is to take a year or two and travel with a laptop setting up shop where ever I can and play poker and see the world. This plan has been changed by future wedding plans, but I can dig it.

Thanks again for the great responses... If you have more to add then by all means.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Part of my poker dream is to take a year or two and travel with a laptop setting up shop where ever I can and play poker and see the world. This plan has been changed by future wedding plans, but I can dig it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you have heard about or read Matthew Hilger's book on Internet Texas Hold'em. Its a pretty good intermediate guide specifically tailored to internet ring-games, but not tournaments.

Just thought I'd mention it as this is exactly what he did, with great success. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2004, 07:59 PM

Nope never heard of it. I read one internetpoker book which I wont mention, and it was horrible. Since then I dont even take a second glance at any book internet based, but perhaps I should.

I still want to travel, but all my plans of womanizing and pimping have gone down the drain.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but doesn't it all depend on what kind of player you are and what style of poker you play? If your ROI is better at night, play at night. If it's better during the day, play in the daytime. I'm sure it's different for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make money when your opponents make bad decisions and you make good ones. Style of play has nothing to do with that. Times of day when there are many more bad players online does.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:48 AM

Moving to england would cut out the income tax on your gambling winnings as well. Not such a bad idea bloke.
Games are definately easier 6pm CST+ and later.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:59 AM

I thought this was the major reason married men went on business trips.

-Michael
Old 07-24-2004, 02:44 PM

I tried the tables yesterday starting about 2PM PST (when it reached about 30k players online) The tables were pretty good indeed, my results didnt show for it unfortunatly, and I posted one of the first losing days in a long time.

I will play again about that time today , and after a few days of it I will have my full opinion. The tables gave me mixed results. I had one table ITM at level 3. I was crippled early and managed to squeek ITM when people had no reguard for the fact that I was sooo short stacked. However I had another table that went to level 9 on the bubble. The short stack kept sucking out. I was down to 350 chips at one point, and came back to be chip leader. Then it all went wrong when I pushed with AQ and the guy calls me with Q5s. He was the second highest stack. He said "You've been pissing me off the whole time" He caught a 5 and won the hand. I went out shortly after.

All in all I think the tables at this time will be very profitable. Its just those early morning ones I think I want to stay away from.