Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2004, 09:58 PM

Default Re: When do the SnGs get gooood ???

I'm sorry, but doesn't it all depend on what kind of player you are and what style of poker you play? If your ROI is better at night, play at night. If it's better during the day, play in the daytime. I'm sure it's different for everyone.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:42 PM

I find the quality of play is pretty poor in the late night/early morning hours. Basically, there are more pros playing between 5am and pm, and more fish between 5pm and am.
I find this to be true regardless of the game type.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:28 PM

I dont play $5 SnGs I play 20's atm, and feel confident I could play 30's or even 50's, but the move to England thing was just a joke. (As I am sure your comment was in jest as well)

Thanks everyone for your input. I will keep an eye out for the amount of players, logically they should mesh with each other. I still think the best SnGs are drunk hour across the US... Especially on weekends like Braves said.

I will start playing when the player count hits around 25-30k, and see how that works out for me. Id like to get started a little earlier then 5PM(PST) like I have been.

I can get two sets of 15 in before midnight very easy if I can start at 3PM or so. Its that 3rd set I am looking to start making a habit and get in 45 a day.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:29 PM

I played 3 SnG's this afternoon (1:00 pm est)while at work. The table didn't loose a player until level 4. I played 4 tonight (2 1st's [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] )and on average 2 were gone before level one was complete.

From what I've seen, it's easier to play tight and make it to the money at night. That makes it easier for me and the way I play these SnG's, but others might like to run all over the rock garden in the afternoon. But all in all, the players at night are just flat out bad. That's my two cents.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:48 AM

I play a lot at about 12am to 4am central time and there seems to be a lot of bad players. I do play 10+1 but it seems really fishy. Just giving you some info on the wee hours of the morning.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:50 AM

Based in Japan, so wake up have a leisurely Saturday morning breakfast, then get online to find half of those playing SnGs based in USA are wasted (from the state of the chat). I think quite a few of them simply fall asleep too [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2004, 10:56 AM

I'm not sure moving to England is the right choice, since you'd have to get up at 6:00 Saturday morning to catcth the Midnight fish on the east coast. And the cost of living there is insane.

A more intriguing (and practical) choice would be to sign up with one of the British web-sites (Ladbrokes is one). At 10:00 AM out on the left-coast, it's 7:00 PM in London. You're waking up, as they're getting drunk.

Might be worth looking into...
Old 07-23-2004, 12:12 PM

FWIW, for me 7-9pm is good, 9-11 is slightly fishy, and 11-1 is prime time, 1-3am gets a lot tougher. All times are EST.

I rarely, if ever, play during the day weekdays.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:22 PM

But we're all busy setting the alarm to get up at 6:00 am when you're all falling about pissed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

All you'll get is other USA players [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2004, 01:24 PM

I believe the Ladbrokes site excludes users from the US, which most of you guys seem to be since you are writing about time zones etc. However, I have no idea how or how well this is enforced.

I play Ladbrokes from the Caribbean (5 hours behind UK time) and I notice a huge difference between daytime and nightime quality of play. 7pm to midnight UK time is pretty playable and outside of this is pretty difficult. I have no metrics available, so you'll have to take my word for it, but this based on 4 months of frequent SnG and low limit NL games.

If they relax the US-exclusion then you would get some great opportunities to play during the day in the US on the UK site and then switch to your favourite US site in your evening!

The site is good, though not the prettiest, and the choice of games and tables is impressive.