Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2004, 01:45 PM

Default what is your move. $50 NL Party Poker.

this guy was a typical crap player.

Seat 1: Sponger15 ( $47.5 )
Seat 8: SUN_DECKER ( $51.8 )

SUN_DECKER posts big blind [$1].

Dealt to Sponger15 [ Ad Jh ]
pokerbandit1 calls [$1].
Sponger15 raises [$4].
SUN_DECKER calls [$3].
pokerbandit1 folds.

** Dealing Flop ** [ 8d, Jc, 5s ]

SUN_DECKER bets [$5]

flop, turn, and river advice please.

i think i just have difficultly figuring out what to do when i flop TPTK after a preflop raise and someone bets into me. i figure they always will call and then check raise some trash 2-pair or something, i don't know.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Re: what is your move. $50 NL Party Poker.

I would probably raise, but I can be a bit aggro sometimes. I see too many people make bets with stuff like 2nd pair to automatically give him credit for a big hand. He may be betting just because he has a jack. If he had a big hand I would expect him to check-raise, as that is the move I see most often at PP $25 when someone flops a monster. If they are in LP with bets in front, they may raise then also. But this, to me, smells like a jack or 2nd pair, or maybe smaller PP, that wants to try to end the pot right now.

I would probably raise, and if he's got a hand, he's got a hand. I've seen people call decent flop bets and raise the turn with as little as top pair-soso kicker, and some will do it on draws.

Ootz
Old 07-22-2004, 02:11 PM

make it 20, call if he pushes.

on the turn, push. TPTK is a monster in 50 NL party, especially short-handed (is this short-handed)? if the stacks were deeper, i might give different advice.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:15 PM

It looks to me like he is trying to take the pot away from you as the flop looks pretty harmless. I'm definetely not folding but I'm split between raising the flop, or calling then raising on the turn or betting the turn if checked to. I think you only need to be worried about giving a free card if your opp. is on a semi-bluff with T9.

-SmileyEH
Old 07-22-2004, 03:48 PM

Either call and raise the turn or make it $20 and fold to a push. Also don't raise AJ [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2004, 04:28 PM

I could use a little more information regarding how full the table is, as well as your positions on the table.

Preflop: I'm assuming that you are playing in MP or LP. If this is somewhere earlier like UTG+1, then I'd probably fold. AJo is very hard to play out of position. That being said, I think the PF raise is fine assuming decent position.

Flop: Betting into the preflop aggressor... can mean many different things. I'm assuming the villain would reraise PF with QQ, KK, AA. You can be confident he doesn't have an overpair. The board doesn't coordinated at all for 2 pair or any draws. The most likely hands you could be losing to are 55, 88, or maybe JJ. Then again, I doubt he would bet into you with a set. He would most likely smooth call and c/r you on the turn. I imagine your hand is good right now. Make a pot sized raise, probably around $13 and see what he does. Unless he's a maniac, I think a push over the top means you're beat and need to fold.

Turn: If he calls your bet, thne you may be looking at something along the lines of JT, QT, or KT. Watch the turn for any of these scare cards that could give him 2 pair. If he checks to you again, I'd make another half pot sized bet. If he pulls a stop and go, it's up to your read whether you're willing to play for your whole stack.

River: Again, hard to tell without a card. At this point it may be safest to check behind if he's called both the flop and turn. I remember someone mentioning on 2+2, "Don't bet the river if a check raise is going to make you vomit". That is indeed the case here, so be happy to show down the winner.

The biggest issue is to take control back on the flop. Show aggression. If he doesn't back down, then he's probably got TPTK beat.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could use a little more information regarding how full the table is, as well as your positions on the table.

Preflop: I'm assuming that you are playing in MP or LP. If this is somewhere earlier like UTG+1, then I'd probably fold. AJo is very hard to play out of position. That being said, I think the PF raise is fine assuming decent position.

Flop: Betting into the preflop aggressor... can mean many different things. I'm assuming the villain would reraise PF with QQ, KK, AA. You can be confident he doesn't have an overpair. The board doesn't coordinated at all for 2 pair or any draws. The most likely hands you could be losing to are 55, 88, or maybe JJ. Then again, I doubt he would bet into you with a set. He would most likely smooth call and c/r you on the turn. I imagine your hand is good right now. Make a pot sized raise, probably around $13 and see what he does. Unless he's a maniac, I think a push over the top means you're beat and need to fold.

Turn: If he calls your bet, thne you may be looking at something along the lines of JT, QT, or KT. Watch the turn for any of these scare cards that could give him 2 pair. If he checks to you again, I'd make another half pot sized bet. If he pulls a stop and go, it's up to your read whether you're willing to play for your whole stack.

River: Again, hard to tell without a card. At this point it may be safest to check behind if he's called both the flop and turn. I remember someone mentioning on 2+2, "Don't bet the river if a check raise is going to make you vomit". That is indeed the case here, so be happy to show down the winner.

The biggest issue is to take control back on the flop. Show aggression. If he doesn't back down, then he's probably got TPTK beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot JrJordan.

Forgot...this is 6 max on party. I was the cutoff, I think, I cannot find the history. Anyways I raised to $10 on the flop, i think i bet $10 on the turn, and checked behind like a girly man on the river. He showed Jack-low kicker.

I guess I need to understand why people play so freaking weird and seem to have no clue what is acceptable preflop/flop play.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also don't raise AJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. There are plenty of times in which you can raise with A-J in NL Hold'em. This is a good time. If one guy limps and you want to play heads up with that guy a raise is perfect. If you only raise with A-Q or better you're, in my opinion, not raising enough.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:21 PM

I think AJ should just about always be raised shorthanded in unraised pot.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either call and raise the turn or make it $20 and fold to a push. Also don't raise AJ [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't raise AJ in a short-handed PartyPoker $50 no limit game? I have to disagree.

Edit: Assuming the game is in fact short-handed.

SpaceAce