Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2004, 04:13 PM

Default Re: the OFFICIAL \"dutch boyd crew is gay\" thread

You know, I often wonder about "gay" as an insult, too.

Were we to go back to my previous studies, I might posit that a whole chunk of gender-based politics comes from institutionalized mysogyny, with "men" considered the highest and "women" being the lowest, and that any further deviation from the expectations of masculinity (such as gay) is considered an abomination and/or challenge to the social structure.

But that's another conversation.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So basically, he sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, stupid as this may sound, not really.

I consider him with the standard group of sort of successful loose-aggressive/never fold any pair/ raise any pair/king/suited types that can do well at times in extreme shorthanded conditions. Now, I havent specifically seen the telecast, but I read his account of it, and I guess the board was something like JT2, he bet after reraising preflop, was raised on flop, and he went allin with his 88, and won the pot vs A5. Seems like a brilliant read, but I can tell you right now that a nuclear bomb could have gone off and he would not have folded that 88 unless the flop came AKQ all spades and him with no spade. It's just how he plays. It has its strengths and weaknesses.
I'm VERY picky on who i consider good players in my notes, and the main problem my notes have is that i generally take them with ring or no less than 5 handed in mind. I know alot of people on UB who i take notes as bad players that CRUSH 2-3 handed at the 30-60 level and above. I consider this a flaw in MY judgment, as I am not quite far along in my poker knowledge to understand calling a turn check raise with a king or ace high pair draw vs a tight aggressive player, yet I see it all the time in the 30-60 game. My only guesses at this point are that they either are playing at limits that don't mean much to them, or are looking to outplay on river. One this I DEFINITLEY notice that makes this style $$$ though; they NEVER slowplay.
Funny aside to all this; I recently found out that one of the 30/60 players I had noted as bad loose aggressive was Humberto Brenes [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

But I feel better about the pokertracker results....
(Brenes) vs PokerDali: PokerDali + 1163 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2004, 04:51 PM

After reading this thread I hate these guys and I haven't even seen the ESPN telecast yet. But I have to agree with Dagrims, aren't there more appropriate epithets for these guys such as smegma-slurping, sphincter-sucking, discharge-gobbling shitebags?
Old 07-22-2004, 05:07 PM

Yeah but he is 23 years old and he is already as good as anyone (according to him)

For more on Fischman see this post
Old 07-22-2004, 05:11 PM

I think the term "gay," when used as an insult means "unmanly" and not necessarily "homosexual." It's evolved from a 1970s insult that DID mean "you;re a homo," i.e., less than a man, to an all-encompassing insult for "you are not a man." Sort of like the words "tool," "bitch," and even "nigger" have changed from their original meaning.

I think for the most part it ha nothing to do with sexual preference anymore.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:03 PM

Why hasn't ESPN told the story about Dutch's failed website? I think viewers would find it interesting, especially if they show footage from when him and Howard played at the same table. It wouldn't be as good as the Sam Grizzle Phil B!tch table from last year, but it would be the same concept.

Also, I hope somebody just beats the crap out of Boyd, he has it comming.

What do you think Eric Lindgren (spelling?) and Phil Ivey and their friends think of Boyd's crew claiming to be a bunch of young friends that will take the poker world by story.

I'd say Ivey and his group fit the same bill except they have been more successfull at poker and haven't resorted to homo-erotic activities to entertain themselves in their spare time.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:05 PM

Default You know you suck when....

A post about how much people hate you gets 100+ replies.

That it a number usually reserved for crap like "party poker is fixed" and "how to play KK preflop."
Old 07-22-2004, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I hope somebody just beats the crap out of Boyd, he has it comming.

What do you think Eric Lindgren (spelling?) and Phil Ivey and their friends think of Boyd's crew claiming to be a bunch of young friends that will take the poker world by story.

I'd say Ivey and his group fit the same bill except they have been more successfull at poker and haven't resorted to homo-erotic activities to entertain themselves in their spare time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, lay off the gay bashing OK? I'll accept that calling something/someone "gay" doesn't really have sexual connotations anymore, but this is crossing the line.

I don't really know, but I would guess that Ivey, at least could care less. He doesn't really seem to go out of his way to get his face or voice on camera, and seems happy just playing winning poker.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Taking poker world by storm...well yeah kinda

I would probably jump up and down if I was winning the WSOP. Nothing wrong with that. If someone wants to start a poker cult I might think about it. However, I wont move into a frat house with a bunch of dudes. I did that in college and promised myself never again. Except we were not a frat but we drank like one. And did not play poker we played foosball and chased chickys around. Has anyone seen me on the 2001 World Series of Foosball? I kicked ass. All my homeys were yelling and giving me high fives when I bounced the lucky shot off the celing and into the goal!
Old 07-23-2004, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Taking poker world by storm...well yeah kinda

i couldnt believe my eyes on that segment, i wanted to beat them all about the face with bricks...worst attitude ever at the table also.. phil helmuth should be an honerary member.