Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2004, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Carlos Delgado

Rule Britania

Now theres a song.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:15 AM

We'll take care of the fundies here at home next, but last I checked, there haven't been any Christians blowing themselves up to kill other people.

And perhaps "culture" was an inappropriate term, as it might be construed to mean Islam itself. The fact is, much of the middle east has been co-opted by an extremist interpretation of certain parts of the Quran. It's that influence on the culture about which I'm speaking.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:18 AM

Also, you dont think this was a war against Saddam, but a war against Islam itself.

That is not what I said. Islam is absolutely *not* the enemy.

What about those Islamic citizens of the USA?

What about them. lat I checked we in the US had something called freedom of religion, a concept I would defend with my life.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:24 AM

"That is not what I said. Islam is absolutely *not* the enemy."

Are you sure Islamism is either? Turkey is governed by a moderate Islamist party. Some Islamists are amongst the most dedicated advocates of democracy in the Middle East. Don't you man violent/extremist Islamism? Or are you against all forms?
(Obligatory addendum: Saddam Hussain was not an Islamist. Aplogies).
Old 07-22-2004, 08:26 AM

Why say take me out to the ball game when you're already there?

You'll be hearing from Jerry Seinfeld's lawyers in the morning. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

The Star Spangled Banner is terrible. Oh-oh say can you see by the dawn's early light what so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming? Huh? America the Beautiful is a beautiful song that, instead of being enthralled by rockets and bombs talks about brotherhood.

I agree. It's also the worlds most impossible song to sing, going either above or below the vocal range of 90% of those trying to sing it.

God Bless America is just a bad thought. That's the way the terrorists think, that God is on their side.

OK, shut up right now. I'm agreeing with you too much. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2004, 08:44 AM

What about those Islamic citizens of the USA?

Should they.

1. Pay no tax towards the war
2. be forced to pay tax towards war
3. Rounded up and put in camps

I cant quite work out your position.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:49 AM

"3. Rounded up and put in camps"

I think you can be fairly sure it's not this given his comment about freedom of religion.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:00 AM

Yea but he also said:

"There is no threat to liberty in the world greater than Islamism. This is no less than a battle for civilization, for the survival of a free, open, diverse, mercantile cultue over forces that would drive us all back to the dark ages."
Old 07-22-2004, 09:20 AM

As has often been pointed out to me on this board, the US is a constitutional republic that has taxes. Thus all citizens are required by law to pay taxes regardless of their opinion about how those taxes are used.

Should taxes as a whole be lower. I believe so. If taxes are lower, and the government needs more money for national defense (or anything else the constitution allows) then there should be the option for congress to initiate bills for additional taxes. Now, like most libertarians, I believe that congress should need a super-majority to either raise taxes or initiate new taxes.

Also, as a libertarian, I believe that national defense is a rational function of government. I also understand that there may be disagreements as to whether or not a specific action qualifies as national defense. That's why we have a democratic process, and also why I believe government shouldn't be able to raise taxes easily to support military endeavors.

3. Rounded up and put in camps

It's insulting that you even suggest in jest that I would support this.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:20 AM

But Islamism isn't the same as Islam. Very loosely defined, Islamism is political Islam - wanting government to govern according to Islamic law (whatever that is). A lot of people tend to use it as a byword for violent Islamic extremism, which is wrong IMO. From what he's wortten Kurn is against Islamism, though how he defines this I don;t know, but not against people practicising the Islamic faith.