Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 04:32 AM

Default 40-80 hand

ok this just blew my mind... critique this please

10 handed, im in big blind with J10 off, folded to cut off who calls, button and sb fold.

heads up pot

flop comes K 10 4 rainbow
I check, co bets, i raise, co calls.

Turn comes an 8 completing the rainbow.
I check, he checks.

River comes a 5.
I bet he calls.

standard?
Old 07-20-2004, 04:52 AM

Default Re: 40-80 hand

I think you should bet the turn here. You didn't give any reads, so I would assume your opponent is fairly typical. Since it's folded to your opponent who just calls, I would assume a K is reasonably unlikely since he would have been more apt to raise out of the cutoff with Kx rather than limp (although I don't know what he's limping with here). The fact that your opponent bets when checked to, heads up, really doesn't mean much.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:24 AM

I would normally

bet the flop, bet the turn, bet the river.

If i meet resistance on any streets i reconsider.

I do not really understand why you do not bet the turn after your checkraise.

Kim
Old 07-20-2004, 04:00 PM

I am curious why this hand blew your mind?
Also I would bet out on the turn - if reraised I muck, if called I would bet the river too, he may lay down a 10 with a better kicker then you or a K with a very weak kicker. You just show too much weakness by checking the turn..It makes his river call easy with A/10 or something which you may have forced out otherwise. There is reall just no draws here, so its unlikely hes calling you down with nothing.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:00 PM

it really depends on the skill of you're oponent but i'd bet the flop thinking im ahead not wanting to give free cards to lone overcards to my ten (Q or A) or a straight draw that may kill my jack.

if he called i'd again bet the turn since the same concepts apply. if the river came A, Q, 9 i'd check and induce a bluff, all other river's i'd likely bet since he could have paired and pay you off.

its hard to put him on a king since he didn't raise and if he has a monster you'll soon know, but he'd likely call you with every small pair he'd limp with.

-Barron
Old 07-20-2004, 09:21 PM

hi blake

you have a bet on the turn.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:58 AM

are you giving up because he called your check-raise on the flop?
or are you trying to check-raise again on the turn?

What are you doing?

your turn action should be consistent with your flop action, given the nature of board.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:59 PM

I am sure you have just read this several times, but bet the turn. The question is, what were you trying to accomplish with your flop raise? Was it for value, because you had the best hand, and wanted to take control? was it a bluff, to knock him off a T or a weak K(which isnt folding BTW)? You need to consider the reason for raising, and what you would like your opponent to do. If he is the type to bet every time regardless of whether he improves, then maybe you can even checkraise the turn for value. In these types of small pots, I would bet and hope to end it quickly. I wouldnt want to invest a lot of bets in a very small pot with a marginal hand.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Results

I agree I need to bet the turn. This guy had just sat down and I was trying to get a feel for him. I was checking the turn to see where he was at. If he has a king I expect him to bet, if he has less than a king i expect him to check. If I bet the turn and he just calls I am likely going to have to fire again on the river, but im still behind to a king and lose 2 bb's isntead of 0 if i check/fold. If im pretty far ahead i might squeeze out a call from him on the river by checking the turn. He might bet something im behind too on the turn and i lose the whole pot, but depending on the player, betting a weak hand into a previous check-raiser isnt really a good idea or a common play.
I was just trying to play conservatively against an unknown.
Really in retrospect i should have just lead the flop. Probly still would have lost several bets because this guy hates raising with any hand as it turns out.
Anyway heres what blew my mind.

He turns over K-4, flopped 2 pair.
My hand is way not good.
shocker he diddnt bet the turn or raise me on the river.

thanks for the tips.
blake