Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2004, 03:34 AM

Default How to get out of a losing frame of mind

I am not a great player, neither am I good. I am however aware of my capabilities as a player and I know I am better than 60% of the drunks that play at my table. However, for the last month, I have just been busting out regularly. I've been playing for a year, and have logged over 2500 hours. But this is horrendous. I just can't seem to win a hand and I'm always dodging monsters.
I mean always, if I have top pair, someone has a set, and they will overbet it and I fold. If I have a flush draw, someone will have the higher flush draw. BTW, I usually only get these flush draws from BB hands.
I've been regularly busting out and I am playing scared, not because of the money, but am just afraid I always have the losing hand. Everytime I go all-in - its one of three things - I lose to an outdraw, I split the pot with someone who caught up, eg i have made str8 and he had a draw to it or we both have the same cards, or I lose to a better hand.
It has affected my playing quite a bit I can tell, as my girlfriend who watches me play says that I have stopped raising so much. I finally believed this when today I had AKo in the BB (blinds are 0.10/0.25) and some drunk guy raised to $1. This means pocket pair. I flat called and then folded the 999 flop. Is this what you also do? Normally I might have reraised, but for some reason I am slowing down, because I always think I am going to miss the flop and so there's not point raising and then folding on the flop.

Is there anything I can do to get out of this frame of mind? I hate it. I hate the way I am playing. It sucks.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:56 AM

Default Re: How to get out of a losing frame of mind

Try doing something else. Sounds like you're on perma-tilt. Take a break from cards for a while. This is a game. It should be fun.

As poker players we are accountable to ourselves first and foremost. Perhaps in your next session you can observe yourself, monitor your own thought process. Figure out why you're tilting and devise a way to handle it.

There is no conspiracy against you, except in your own mind. Pull yourself together, regain some perspective, and enjoy playing the game. Nuff said.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:51 PM

I second this.

You seem like you deseperately need to take a break.
Enjoy non-poker life for a while and come back refreshed and aggressive.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:35 PM

You could try switching games for a while. A change of pace can help. Try playing Omaha8. At least you will be correct in fearing the monsters if nothing else.
If you do take a break, I recommend taking inspiration from Kilgore Trout's handle and read a book by Kurt Vonnegut. Cat's Cradle is good.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:54 PM

Take a break for couple weeks.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:22 AM

Heh - My original choice (Ford Prefect) was taken. Douglas Adams is another cure for tilt.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:40 AM

Spaeaking of Douglas Adams, I saw a screen name the other day that was "6X7". Had to wonder . . .
As this relates to psychology, has anyone else considered the babylfish story in the greater scheme of things? I mean, God poofing out of existence in a cloud of logic and all that? Funny stuff to be sure.
Sure way to get out of a losing frame of mind? Think about poor Marvin the Paranoid Android. He will put the long run into perspective . . .
Or, you could read Galapagos
Old 07-23-2004, 04:28 AM

Time away. A vacation. Return fresh.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:02 AM

It sounds like you are playing very low buy in single table tournaments online. If this is the case, of course you are missing 99% of your close gambles because these stakes are so low no one cares and many see the river. Add to this the fact that you are not raising whatsover and you have a recipe for a profoundly frustrating experience.

My suggestion to you is simple: play the $11 or $22 single table tournaments on Party. The tables usually have 1 or 2 good players and the rest mediocre, but not idiotic.

With this type of field you'll get better results. If you are on these micro-limit tables, expect to develop many bad habits. (You mentioned running scared and barely raising at all, that's one example)

The $11 and $22 players act like the more rational, slightly higher ($33, $55) buyin players in terms of laydowns and other poker behaviors. Therefore, they play VERY differently from these micro-limit "players" you are facing.

Give it a try and see.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:31 AM

Hate to nag, but I second all above. Take ten days off, maybe more, and do something not related to poker. Shake it off and you'll be fine.