Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 04:57 AM

Default Re: Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem games?

Gotta love the guy whos in sunglasses and a hat, and makes sure to remain completely motionless after he puts 3 bets in the pot with J3s. Perhaps basic strategy before tells?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem games?

There is a place in the world for mindless drivel. You need a little break now and then.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:22 PM

they wear sunglasses in low and mid limit games for the same reason a 25 handicap golfer buys a $500 driver, they see the Big Timers doing it.

Why does it bother you? That should be the important question you should ask yourself.

-PG
Old 07-20-2004, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does it bother you? That should be the important question you should ask yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have answered this ad nauseum, but I'll do so one more time.

Given a choice, a recreational donator is more likely to want to sit at a table of normally attired people than he/she is going to want to sit at a table full of people wearing sunglasses, baseball caps and headphones.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem ga

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some people name them selves after a character in Rounders. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JK man. No offense intended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT is funny...and couldn't be more accurate. Hi pot, meet kettle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi pot, meet kettle?
How is deacsoft a rounders name?
Old 07-20-2004, 04:03 PM

"What I mean is only an idiot whould judge a person who is likley to be trying to influence you by his clothes is an idiot. Some people dress like torist, some dress like bums." -MrTeddyKGB

I responded to that post shown above in this thread. That should answer your Rounders question. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2004, 04:28 PM

Default Re: gimme a break already oh ye of extremist beliefs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that wearing headphones is just plain silly. Why on earth anyone would NOT want to listen to the conversation at the table is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's my understanding that headphones are worn by many to simply pass the time. Good poker is generaly boring due to the tight preflop requirements (folding and waiting). Head phones fill a void created by this by giving a player some kind of entertainment between playable hands. It fills this void and also allows the player to still closely watch the action as opposed to reading the paper or something like that. Again, this is not gospel but simply my understanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can hear everything going on at the table just fine, I guess it depends on how much hearing loss you have..
Old 07-20-2004, 05:32 PM

That makes sense. You're probably right too. I used to wear glasses until I became confident in my own game, and now I prefer to not wear glasses because of the social value of people being able to look me in the eyes when they talk to me.

I think though, when I was starting out, working my way up the limits, I really thought there were a lot of excellent players out there, and I was sure they were reading me somehow. Now I understand they weren't all too good, but at the time I was a little worse.

-PG
Old 07-20-2004, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Phil Hellmuth usually wears a hat and glasses...Want him at your table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the advice on limit hold'em in his book, yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really....May want to consider his 7 WSOP titles being voted the best player in the world by his peers..And being the top money maker of all time (excluding the 04 WSOP 5 million prize). I am sure you have a good game, but don't over do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Luckily" for me, if he's at my table he'll be playing limit hold'em.

Did you miss the part of my post where I said:

[ QUOTE ]
Based on the advice on limit hold'em in his book, yes.

[/ QUOTE ]?

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Disappointing Things to Learn For the First Time:

-The Tooth Fairy isn't real
-Phil Hellmuth sucks at limit hold'em cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw what you wrote. I am not sure I totally agree with you, but we all have our opinions on players abilities. I guess we should agree to disagree here.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:33 PM

Hi

I like to wear them when i play online
gives me an edge. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]