Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 08:21 AM

Default Good Play or Suckout?

$27 rebuy tournament last night, there was around 100 players and now its down to 4.
Payout is (roughly)
$3000
$2000
$1000
$400

I have 98,000 chips and am the short stack (by a little), the blinds were 4k 8k. Chip leader has around 300k. All three of my opponents are over aggressive, which is unnerving me a bit as I usually play that role.

When I got to the final table, I was 2nd with over 100k, but the final table has been a disaster. I like to outplay the others at a final table (who are all trying to move up in the money) but in this case anytime I made a move a got reraised all in. I hadn't seen a playable hand in a long time. Only decent hand was QQ, I raised utg and three people went all in! I folded.

So the hand in question:

Chip leader folds utg, I get JQ suited on the button, and I know that If I call I will get raised, and if I raise I'm likely to get raised all in, and they wont need a hand to do it. My thinking was if I raise, and get reraised I have a lot less folding equity (ie none) than if I call, and then reraise all in.

Anyway I called, small blind raises and I reraise all in. He covers me barely.

He turns over JJ, but I hit a q on the river and take the pot. Hes out on the next hand.

I'm just looking for comments as to my play, I really don't think he needed JJ to raise me. I don't think I would of called if I was in his shoes, it was designed to look like a trap.
Im looking to win this, rather than place.

Thanks

Daragh