Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2004, 02:28 PM

Default Confused with JJ

Really not sure about any of my plays here except for pre-flop... let me know what you think.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero raises, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 bets, Hero raises, MP3 calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 3-bets, Hero calls, MP3 caps, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (14 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+2 bets, Hero calls, MP3 raises, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (22 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero bets, MP3 raises, UTG calls $11 (All-In), UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 29.83 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 29.33 BB, between UTG, UTG+2, Hero and MP3.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (29.33 BB).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 0.50 BB, between UTG+2, Hero and MP3.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (0.50 BB).</font>
Old 07-19-2004, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Confused with JJ

Tricky hand--especially for a first post! Welcome to the board. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

FWIW, I play it exactly the same on all streets. You have to raise the river and pray you sucked out on a set or 2-pair and didn't just raise MP3's 78 straight. Either one is a possibility.

The call-reraise on the flop reeks of a set, but I could see a straight played in this manner as well, and 55, 66, 99, and 78 are all reasonable hands to put MP3 on.

I'm curious as to others' opinions of this hand, as it appears to be a tricky one.

(Posting-wise, I think you should've stopped the action with your river decision once you got raised, as a strong case can be made for 3-betting.)

The more I think about it, given your position relative to the probable bettor, I think checkraising is a better play, since it traps the field for multiple bets one at a time instead of confronting them with 2 cold up front. River action on this one is all about the overcalls, baby.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:03 PM

I think you played it fine. You might consider 3-betting the river as I doubt MP Cold called with 78 but you never know. After it get's capped on 2 streets usually my mind goes from saying, "You couldn't have Cold called with that" to saying, "Why did you have to cold call with that...and by the way treat my money well"

Old 07-19-2004, 04:11 PM

Bump.

Not because I am confused as hell on this hand or anything, but to help the new poster. Yeah, that's the ticket...
Old 07-19-2004, 04:20 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

the only time that I think you're really beat is after the turn gets raised. but you're getting 21-1 to river a set, so you shouldn't fold even though it looks like MP3 could have 87.

I don't know if I 3-bet the river. I think a set makes more sense than 87 being that he cold-called preflop.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:58 PM

Default Thanks, Results

Results:

UTG shows 6c 5d (two pair, sixes and fives).
UTG+2 shows 9h 9c (three of a kind, nines).
Hero shows Jh Jd (three of a kind, jacks).
MP3 shows 6s 6h (three of a kind, sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 29.83 BB.

Thanks for the input. When I played the hand, my initial gut reaction was that I should not have been in to see the river. After reading your thoughts and looking back, I see that I never called two bets and definitely had odds to call the raise on the turn.

I thought people might find the turn bet suspect with all the flop action. I think the call on the river was slightly weak, but I could definitely see MP3 playing 87s.

If no Jack fell on the river, I assume check-call would still be okay with all the money in the pot.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:00 PM

Without reading any other responses, it seriously looks like you're against a set on one hand, and a made straight on the other. I'm inclined to fold the turn here.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Thanks, Results

[ QUOTE ]
UTG shows 6c 5d (two pair, sixes and fives).
UTG+2 shows 9h 9c (three of a kind, nines).
Hero shows Jh Jd (three of a kind, jacks).
MP3 shows 6s 6h (three of a kind, sixes).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. This is a pretty freaky hand.

(Definitely check and call one on the river unimproved in this huge pot.)
Old 07-19-2004, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Thanks, Results

Set over Set over Set over 2 pair is definitely a rare occurrence. I'm still surprised that one of them (esp. MP3) didn't hold a straight. MP3's river raise was over the top now that a higher straight (and a bunch of higher sets) is possible.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:22 PM

MP3 has a set or straight, but by the time the action gets back to you on the turn, the pot is so big you have odds to look for 2 outs.

The only thing I might change is I would cap the flop myself.