Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2004, 01:50 PM

Default $1/$2 Blinds - Interesting or Standard play?

SB in hand has been known to try and pick up pots with 1/3 and 1/2 size bets on flop usually around $5, and will usually dump if you re-pop him the min. I realize this is a pot bet by him, but he knows a steal won't work for $2. On this hand I thought he was just stealing again, so I figure, I have a lot of outs and if I can get to the river for free, I might hit them, or my re-steal just might work again.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 5 handed)

Hero ($201.20)
UTG ($70.10)
MP ($176.75)
Button ($76)
SB ($127.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, MP folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($6) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets $6</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, UTG folds, SB calls $6.

<font color="blue">Yuck, I got called, wonder if he does have the Q. </font>

Turn: ($30) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

<font color="blue">I check behind for 2 reasons, 1) he may have the queen and if he does I want to hit my flush/gut shot and break him. 2) If I bet to steal here and he does have the Q, he will probably check raise and I have to dump. It would almost seem natural for a Q to check here after being raised on the flop.</font>

River: ($30) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, SB ....

<font color="blue">There are 3 hands I can see him checking here. 1) Some kind of Q, but I really would expect a bet from him unless he boated and wants me to bet for him, but I find that unlikely due to him knowing I just checked the turn. 2) A pair lower than the Q. He really thinks I have it and wants a cheap show down, maybe a hand like A9?
3) Missed flush/rags.

2 of these I feel he will fold to a sizeable bet, so I gave it a shot and will dump to any re-raise. I wanted to make it big enough so an re-raise would be unlikey and so he would have to have a Q to call.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB FOLDS
Final Pot: $50
Main Pot: $30, won by Hero.
Pot 2: $20, returned to Hero.

Hero shows 5c 8c (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins $50. </font>

So, if you would be so kind as to analyze my thought process. Did I play it pretty standard, did I get too tricky to the point where my play is weak? Should I have bet more or less? Bet the turn? All input is always appreciated.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: $1/$2 Blinds - Interesting or Standard play?

Well,
I've played with you before on PP. I might have taken my flopped trips/2 pair and tried to induce a bluff from you with passive play like that, though the turn check was weak play for any sort of hand...

But, as usual you picked off the guy trying to steal it. He must have had an Ax ([img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?) or a KJ kind of hand and gotten hobbled out of position with your reraise.

Nice Play!