Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2004, 03:10 AM

Default Ugh. KQs Hand Critique needed.

I think you can argue I misplayed this on every street. I'll attempt to explain my thought process as I played the hand.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Raised because I figured to have the best hand and a follow though on a rag flop might pick it up if i dont hit.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Well thats kinda a rag flop. I follow through hoping to pick it up. Call the raise because I've got odds to draw to an overcard.

Turn: (6.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font> Yay! Hit the overcard.
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

I 3-bet because.... well I'm not entirely sure. I was hoping I was against top pair and a straight draw or something similar. I'm thinking I shouldve folded to the cap, but the pot is huge and the river might save me.

River: (18.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 folds.

1 more bet? Sure why not... Ive got top pair [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

Final Pot: 20.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO shows Kd 4d (two pair, kings and eights).
Hero shows Qs Ks (two pair, kings and eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 20.50 BB. </font>

Sometimes lady luck smiles I suppose, but I'm still pretty sure I played this hand horridly, but I'm not really sure where I should've played it differently.

Thanks in advance,
TRWIII
Old 07-18-2004, 03:14 AM

Default Re: Ugh. KQs Hand Critique needed.

With no read on CO you must call down his turn raise. He raised you on a rainbow flop with no apparent draws (except for a straight) and raised you again on the turn. It could easily be a set or two pair. You way overplayed your hand on the turn. However, a river call is clearly in order either way against an unknown.

I haven't read your results by the way. I'll do so now.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:17 AM

I would have probably played it the same except for the turn 3-bet. He is obviously not afraid of that overcard.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:19 AM

I was reasonably sure that turn 3-bet was a mistake the minute I clicked the button. I've been trying to up my aggression on later streets (been playing a little too passively I think), but I think I picked the wrong spot to do it.

TRWIII
Old 07-18-2004, 10:14 PM

I don't like your three-bet on the turn but otherwise the hand looks fine to me. What do you miss on the turn?

SpaceAce
Old 07-19-2004, 12:02 AM

Warning: don't listen to my advice. In fact, I welcome critiques. =)

Preflop: I play this the same here. BB folds, leaving just a couple limpers. I'd put them on small pairs, mixed high cards, middle connectors, or any Axs/Kxs.

Flop: I play this the same, but I don't know if a different line is good. Passive players with an underpair might call, hoping to spike. A straight draw sticks around here; and OESD raises; suited A or K would raise if they hit TPGK. They'd probably put you on overcards (AK, AQ, KQ) here. The set calls with the plan to get tricky on the turn. CO looks like he hit, and puts you on a bluff with overcards. Your call confirms (in his mind) that you don't have AA/KK/QQ/JJ.

Turn: Yay, you hit. Bet. MP2 calls; he's still on a draw. CO raises: I think that narrows his holdings down to two pair or a set. You reraise, MP2 calls (yep, OESD). CO caps, confirming again two cards both in {K984}. If CO put you on overcards, he's not afraid of your AK/KQ/KJ/KT (tho surely you must have a K).

River: K8, K9, 99, 98, 88, and 44 all beat you (only K4 doesn't). MP2 missed his straight draw. CO thinks he has you beat. Pot is too big to fold to, so check-call. Pray for crazy stupid.