Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2004, 11:27 PM

Default ok, a situation came up this evening that i need help with

playing our weekly NLHE tourney...HUGE $5 buyin, 7 players (really, i would play for much more, but i have no takers). anyway, i'm heads-up with a guy that doesn't play very much. i started a bit short stacked, but played my agressive style and either raised or folded. he finally caught on that i was going to raise him, so he started to fold his hands. i beat him on a decent sized pot with two pair, and he was running scared the rest of the time. now, the problem. last had of the tourney...i have 8, 10 o/s and raise as usual. he calls, so i figure he's got overcards. flop comes, i make my pair of 8s and go all in. he sits a ponders for a while and then he decides to ask the other two players at the table for advice. i'm saying that's bullshit. no one seems to care what i think and they give him advice anyway, to the effect of "well, that's not bad, i'd give it a call." or "sure, i'd definently call with that." the two giving the advice are pretty good players. so he calls with his AQ o/s. hits his J on the river for a straight. I think it's complete bullshit to ask for help. this is not celebrity poker and we don't have red cards to call in the pros. i worked him the entire game, and everything i worked for was lost in 2 seconds. anyway, does anyone else have a similar experience and what do you think i should do for next week. thanks.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:35 PM

Default Re: ok, a situation came up this evening that i need help with

Clearly defined rules, summarized in a one sheet hand out. Rule number one: One player per hand. If everybody knows what's expected up front they should behave. Or, you could say, f it, it's $5 and these are my buddies, so I don't give a rip. If you are going to take it seriously then everybody needs to know the rules. If it's not at your place you may be boned as you can't enforce house rules if it's not your house.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:54 PM

damn it! it is my house! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] good point...i'll draft a set of rules. or hell, maybe i take poker with my buddies a bit too seriously. but i don't play to lose.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:57 PM

There's a home poker web site that has a nice set of rules on it than you can chop up to make your own.

http://www.homepokertourney.com

That's what I did.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:17 AM

well it helps that it is your house so lay down the law. i had similair issues like you with others asking what to do and it mainly happens against me. im no great player or anything but i am the best of who i play with at home so i am always gunned for. well i basically said hey its my house one person to a hand. no ifs ands or buts. no one should play to lose so dont feel bad about taking a stand. good luck my man
Old 07-01-2004, 07:04 AM

If you have the best of it don't run off your players. Sounds like your players are just having fun. if you make it to serious for them they will not enjoy themselves and quit playing with you. once they get tired of losing and learn to play implement necessary rules you feel you need to beat the fish. gl
Old 07-01-2004, 11:11 AM

You need to clearly define the rules before you start.

As to your play of the hand:

Why did you go all-in with just a pair of 8s against an easy opponent when you chipping away at his stack. You probably could have just miniraised him down to zero, no need to push in with a weak hand.

Sounds like his "friends" gave him some miserable advice, calling all-in with ace high. You got sucked out on.

-Michael
Old 07-18-2004, 04:55 AM

Default what is the next step?

I am hosting a 32 player, three table next weekend. I have a drafted list of rules, including "one player to a hand". What should happen when this situation comes up?

If no one has yet given advice, then it is easy enough to remind them of the rules, and hopefully end it there.

What then should happen if, at one of the tables at which I am NOT seated, a player solicits, and receives advice? (whether from another player or a rail bird).

Muck the hand, and give each player his T$ back?
Reprimand, with dismissal next time?
Other options?
Help!
doc
Old 07-18-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Re: what is the next step?

the easiest way to aviod the situation is to require all players no longer in the tournament to remove themseleves from the tournament table. that way, there's no temptation to lean over to the guy next to you and say "how's that look to you?"

if it does happen, i'd say a stern warning for the first offense, and for the second, send em packing.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:37 PM

Default Re: what is the next step?

I say warning the first time, and every time after that they just automatically fold the hand.