Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2004, 02:02 AM

Default 40-80 hand

Here's a loose games hand in honor of Ed's book being available now. I could make a case for different actions on every postflop street. I think SinCityGuy was watching the game at the time of this hand, not sure.

Game is somewhat loose, somewhat passive. 5 limpers including the SB to me in the BB with 7h6d. I check.

Flop: Kd 7d 2d. SB checks, I bet. EP calls, MP calls, LP folds and button raises. Button is very aggressive, particularly on the flop, but is pretty straightforward from there. SB folds, I call, EP and MP call, LP folds. 4 to the turn for 7 BBs.

Turn: 5h. I bet, EP calls, MP folds, Button calls. 3 to the river for 10 BBs.

River: 5c. I check.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:25 AM

Default Re: 40-80 hand

The turn seems like the debatable street. I could see an argument for checking, but given the description of your oppenent I think a bet is fine too. What were you planning to do if he raised the turn?
Old 07-18-2004, 02:25 AM

Fire another bet on the river. I would hate to have to call the button here with other folks behind me. I don't think you'll be raised here.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:26 AM

Hi Clarkmeister,

I agree - lots of different lines you could take.

Flop: A flop bet can take it down often enough for this to be the best route. Merits to cr-ing a late position bettor too.

Turn: I often check here heads-up not wanting to pay more for my flush draw because if I bet and am raised that usually means I'm behind. I guess you could bet and fold to a raise but I'm usally hanging around for the 4th diamond.
However, here it's 3-way. I like a bet here and fold to
1) raise by EP and call by button --meaning 1 of them has a higher diamond.
2) call by EP and raise by button --for the same reason.

River: I think this street is most clearly correct though still close. Thoughts on how often a 7 would lay-down to your river bet?

Regards,
Jamie
Old 07-18-2004, 02:36 AM

Why not just check/fold the flop?

You have 6 opponents, middle pair and a 6 high diamond draw. This seems like a bad spot as I would think one of my 6 opponents has a king or a better diamond draw and I don't think I can win this hand on the flop often enough with this number of opponents.

If I had 3-4 opponents I like the bet better. But who am I to question.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:38 AM

I suspect from his description of the player and the game that Clark may be reserving the right to fold for further river action, but I could be wrong. A reraise here on the flop looks viable considering no one has yet called the first raise once it gets back to Clark, although it seems debatable whether or not it would get him heads up with the button often enough to be clearly profitable.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:44 AM

Default What do you think?

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: A flop bet can take it down often enough for this to be the best route. Merits to cr-ing a late position bettor too

[/ QUOTE ]

How often will the flop bet take down the pot for 1 single bet against that many players? I´ve played 40/80 only a couple of times and consider myself by no means an expert, but I´d be surprised if one should expect a win rate of more than 5-10% on the flop.

I think that the better option would be to check/fold if an EP bets and there is 1 or more caller in front of you or checkraise if a LP bets.

Just my thoughts.

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 07-18-2004, 05:51 AM

If you 3-bet the flop, would it have cleared out one/both of the guys between you and the button? If I thought it would clear out any diamond below something like a Jack/Queen, I like a 3-bet on the flop.

I'm interested to hear what range of hands you put your opponents on after 1. the flop and 2. the turn action.

I put button on probably a diamond higher than yours. I'd think he'd have a king less than 20% of the time. I don't think the limpers would have kings either due to 1. their PF limp and 2. their flop call but some more specifics on their looseness(aggressive or passive?) would help narrow that some.

Cup
Old 07-18-2004, 05:57 AM

I'm check-folding this flop. With 3 opponents I'd usually bet out, 4 it's borderline, but against 5 others you don't win often enough.

Out of curiosity, do you ever fold?
Old 07-18-2004, 11:49 AM

Why did you not reraise the flop given the description of the button and the presence of the two callers?

If one of the early limpers called your flop bet with K9s, KT, or A7 with no diamond, they would be hard pressed to call your flop three-bet. And you might get someone with the J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], or 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to fold.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that not three-betting the flop seems inconsistent with betting out and trying to win it right there. I'm sure you had a good reason though.

The people saying to check-fold the flop are crazy. You probably have the best hand and might be able to muscle your way through if you don't.