Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2004, 02:01 AM

Default Going pro...

To all that might be thinking about quitting your job and playing poker full time...

I quit my job 3 months ago and moved to Las Vegas with the intention of playing full time. Tonight I realize I have to look for a job in the morning. The bankroll is dangerously low and I realize that I dont have what it takes. Ive worked so hard, playing, reading, studying over the past few years. Its just too tough to make a living doing this. And it is very stressful.

Fortunatly, I had nothing to lose coming out here. I was from a small town, grew up without much money, and didnt have much going for me. Taking a shot was well worth it for me. And I do not regret my move one bit. But, if anyone who has a college degree, a good job, or a family thinks that this is worth a try, they are wrong. Ive seen many posts from people in these situations. It is not worth the risk. I am young had nothing going for me. Figured Id take a shot at the one thing in life I was really passionate about.

Ive become really good friends with a few pros out here. All have college degrees in good fields. I admit they are better players than myself and THEY are struggling. They have come to hate playing and say eventually I will too. I think they are nuts for not pursuing a career in the field they have degrees in.

This post is just a warning to you all. If you have anything holding you back from becoming a pro such as the things Ive mentioned above, let it hold you back. And if you dont have anything holding you back and you think you can make it, good luck. You will need it. There is much more luck to this game than most of us good players would like to think. And if you decide to give it a shot, have a great time. But you have to be prepared for one of the worst nights of your life. The night you realize that you have failed. You are going to have to tell the friends and family back home that you are now dealing poker. Not "playing poker professionally" (which sounds so sweet). And all of them people who dont understand the game will think you were an idiot for trying to be a professional "GAMBLER". The night you feel that you have no idea where your life is headed now that your dream is not possible. Be prepared.

THE OUTLAW
Old 07-16-2004, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Going pro...

[ QUOTE ]
But you have to be prepared for one of the worst nights of your life. The night you realize that you have failed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this feeling worse than the feeling you would have some day in the future if you hadn't even tried and looked back wishing you had at least given it a shot?
Old 07-16-2004, 05:00 AM

Good post.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:50 AM

Thank you for a courageous post. I hope it convinces others to "keep their day jobs." Poker is a great "second job," but a poor career (for most people, not all).
Regulars here know that I support your position, but I must say a word in support of Dynasty's post in this thread. He and you took a shot when you could afford to fail. You were young, single (I hope), did not have much going for you, and wanted to test your wings. It didn't work, and your failure hurt.
But you had the courage to try, and the courage to accept the unpleasant truth. The really sad cases are the ones who can't accept that truth. Las Vegas and other poker towns are full of them. They hang on indefinitely, living wreteched lives, denying the central reality that they can't make it as pros.
I hope your next endeavor works out better.
Regards,
Al
Old 07-16-2004, 08:52 AM

Good post

I disagree. Dynasty's reply is better and it isn't even close.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:59 AM

Soory, Al, but I have to jump in here.

The original post is nothing but a whine; a bad-beat story in disguise. Anyone who reads this forum understands the reality of trying to play poker for a living, and would be said to go into the endeavor with eyes wide open.

Being successful at any independent business endeavor is tough and most people that try to start their own business fail.

I don't think the original post added one iota of wisdom to this board.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"..I am young had nothing going for me. .."

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree completely. You have demonstrated that you have one of the most valuable and rare moral attributes - COURAGE. Pick yourself up and find the means to continue... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2004, 11:23 AM

And without this post, Dynasty wouldn't have replied.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:30 AM

But without the post we would not have needed the response.

chicken.egg.chicken.egg......
Old 07-16-2004, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Soory, Al, but I have to jump in here.

The original post is nothing but a whine; a bad-beat story in disguise. Anyone who reads this forum understands the reality of trying to play poker for a living, and would be said to go into the endeavor with eyes wide open.

Being successful at any independent business endeavor is tough and most people that try to start their own business fail.

I don't think the original post added one iota of wisdom to this board.

Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with your opinion. I especially love this part:

"I admit they are better players than myself and THEY are struggling......There is much more luck to this game than most of us good players would like to think."

Priceless. One of my favorite things to hear is about the "Vegas pro who is suddenly struggling". All I can say is that for the most part, "Vegas Pro" isn't as good as he thinks he is.

Nothing against the initial poster. Heck, he's probabaly well intentioned. But I agree with Kurn 100% on this one.