Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Is the Foxwoods NL100 rake beatable?

Everytime i have been there, there has always stacks that are 300-600 deep at that table. I think the game is very beatable. You get all of the online players looking for the taste of NL live.

-SO
Old 07-15-2004, 11:59 AM

It is beatable. And by beatable, I mean VERY beatable. I'm talking $15-20 an hour... AFTER time. The players are horrible. I'm talking calling all in preflop with 22.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:13 PM

The few times I played the $1/$2 NL I did very well, the first time I played, to the tune of $400 profit. When you are on a run of bad cards, the time charge sucks ass, but when you are winning, you are not paying rake on the pots you drag. Without doing the math, I would imagine that if you dragged two or three decent pots in an hour, the $10 time charge is probably less than what you would pay in rake for those hands. My unscientific opinion is that if you are having a good session, the time charge is your friend, but if you are having an off day, its your worst enemy. In that light, I think the time charge really hurts the bad players- not only are they losing pots, but they are paying $10/hr to do so.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:18 PM

OK, glad I got a bunch of opinions.

My follow up question is this....

So you guys are saying it is beatable, for up to $15/hr after the fee.

So we'll call it $25 an hour, $10 of which goes to the fee.

At 25 hands/hour, you need to get $100 per 100 hands.

Thats 50BB/100 hands. This doesn't seem possible. I'm not sure mathematically what the most you can possibly win per hour, especially if someone knows the rules.

Am I wrong that 13 big blinds/100 hands is an excellent rate for a low limit NL table online? NL25 for example. I do believe that the best players on 2+2 don't really beat that long term.

OK so its possible that these players at Foxwoods are even worse than NL25, but are they bad to the point where you could make 30, 40 or even 50 BB/100 hands?

Maybe it is possible, this isn't my area of expertise. On quick inspection, however, this game seems crazy.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:23 PM

I've logged about 350 hours at this game. It is extremely beatable. Long term I'd say 20-25 dollars an hour is about right AFTER RAKE. The play is just awful and it isn't overly difficult to run 100 bucks up to 1000 in a session.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:47 PM

Thats 70BB/100 hands. Wow, I've never heard of such a thing.

Some of my best nights were about that, I couldn't imagine making that longterm
Old 07-15-2004, 06:10 PM

The thing that you have to remember about this game, as opposed to online, is that people sit in one place for a much longer period of time. This allows the amount of money on the table to grow.

It isn't uncommon to see several stacks of 1K+ along with a few people at 4-500 at the main table with a couple of must moves going.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:48 PM

OK so I could understand how this would contribute, but wouldn't those who are staying there for a long period of time and have big stacks usually be the better players?

I think what makes the game so profitable is the tourists and newbies that sit down with $100, rebuy once or twice, only remaining 2 hours or so. I could see some of the sharks, possibly yourself, who actually understand NL, play this table often, and take advantage of this absurd play. But I'd imagine that those with $500-1000 stacks would be guys you see there all the time, who probably are close to your own skill level and you avoid playing big pots with them because there is too much money to be gained by playing against the fishies. I could see a foolish player occasionally making it big, but not often enough to make this overly profitable. I'm just playing devils advocate here, I'm curious as to your defense. I do hope these tables are profitable because I hope to get some more play in at them soon, I just find the math a little hard to believe.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK so I could understand how this would contribute, but wouldn't those who are staying there for a long period of time and have big stacks usually be the better players?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd think so, but no, not really. You get a lot of 10/20, 20/40 guys stopping by and a few people who play the 5/5 game regularily and they'll keep pumping in 100's. It's nothing to see some people get into this game for 7 or 8 hundred by just gambling on all kinds of mozarella.

The big stacks are almost always the most aggressive players, but not often the most skilled. People go on all sorts of crazy runs in this game, I saw a guy bounce from 300-1500 4 times in the course of a couple of hours.