Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2004, 08:35 AM

Default Freeroll Tournements

I know that this is a rather dumb question, but I hope some here can answer it and answer it honestly. I sometimes play the freeroll tournements on Stars. There are usually about 5000 or so people who play in these tournements. I seem to regularlly come out between 16 and 160.

I have never played on line for real money, but I do play in the free rooms.

My question is, if I can get to 16 in the freeroll tournements of 5000, how do you think I would fare in a real money tournement or in real money ring games.

I hope there is some relationship, but maybe not. I also hope you will not find this too much of a dumb question to answer, as I find ppl on there quite smart.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Freeroll Tournements

You would probably do OK. The only difference is that when real money is involved people are far tighter. Many simply dont care what they are going all in with becuase it cost them nothing. But if you are playing good solid tournament poker there is no reason why you wouldnt place in a real money MTT.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:44 AM

I just moved up to real money 3 months ago or so after playing freerolls. I felt the same way you probably do. You feel that you are ready to start for real money if you can do so well in these freerolls. Most likely though, you aren't ready. I cashed in, thinking I was ready, but I definitely not.

So my advice just cash in for $50 and get your learning from that. It is a cheap enough way to really understand. You will probably lose at first, but after a while it will just click and you will realize how much of a joke the freerolls are and how bad even the $1-3 mtts on stars are too.

Hope I helped you because I was in the same position.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:30 PM

I would think you are ready to move up to real money. If you can regularly finish between 16th and whatever it is was I would think you would be ok in real money. Every once in awhile I get in one of those freerolls or low limit MTT on stars. I finished 3rd in the freeroll a couple months ago, but I think it took almost 7 hours to complete. Not worth it in my opinion.