Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2004, 01:59 AM

Default River value bets with TPTK?

PS 1/2. After he flat called the min raise preflop and my limp reraise (just did it to vary my play), the flop call and turn call convinced me he was on a worse queen or was being stubborn with JJ or 1010. Should I have checked the river?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (8 handed)

BB ($$204.15)
Hero ($$464.25)
UTG+1 ($$202.85)
MP1 ($$78)
MP2 ($$85.60)
CO ($$47.70)
Button ($$42)
SB ($$65)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
Hero calls $2, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to $4</font>, CO (poster) folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls $2, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $14</font>, MP2 calls $10, BB calls $10.

Flop: ($45) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $34</font>, MP2 folds, BB calls $34.

Turn: ($113) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $62</font>, BB calls $62.

River: ($237) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $354.25 (All-In)</font>, BB calls $94.15 (All-In).

Final Pot: $685.40
<font color="green">Main Pot: $425.30, between BB and Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $260.10, returned to Hero.</font>
Old 07-13-2004, 07:26 AM

Default Re: River value bets with TPTK?

Preflop:
I would fold AQ UTG preflop.
But if I would play it and limp I would never re-raise another raiser, especially with your bad position against the raiser.

Flop &amp; Turn:
Good bet on the flop.. And I like your turn bet.. Not to weak but not to strong either.. You can get away from the hand if he comes over the top.

River:
What can he possible have that he will call your bet with that you beat?
The only possible hand is QK. (or QJ).
And what do you think he has? On the flop there are no draws out there. What can he call you with? A hand with a Q or a 5 or.

Aren’t you worried when he calls you on the flop? What are you putting BB on?
I would check behind on the river.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold AQ UTG preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yikes! That's a little too tight for me. I don't mind the limp here, but I usually raise it up depending on the texture of the game.
But I definitely don't limp-raise this. You might be able to take it down with that raise preflop, or by betting hard enough on the flop, but you're just bluffing, and I don't think that's the best place for it.
I would probably raise this to $6 ish preflop.

But on the flop I like your pot-ish sized bet, and bet on the turn, but I agree that you should check behind on the river. Unless this guy is a weak call station who will call you down like that with KQ, you're probably looking at a better hand (be it a trap or a passive player). I don't imagine seeing a draw here, but I don't see you getting called by a worse hand. JM2C
Old 07-13-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Results

Of course he ends up tabling KK and I lose a $450 pot.

In response to reraising the flop, I normally would not but after the min raise and call by one caller UTG, I decided I most likely had the best hand and wanted to take the lead. I had planned to back off after the flop if I didn't hit.

Check on the river was definitely the right play but I really put him on KQ or QJ and felt that I wanted a call. Next time I'll check [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

My first real post so thanks for the comments and look forward to many more.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Results

I like that limp reraise play, you probably do have the best hand. BB played this awful preflop. I think whether you bet on the river, matters a lot on the player. Most normal players would have bet at some point before the river if they held a five, or higher pocket pair. The BB in this hand is incredibly passive though and apparently refuses to ever bet. I think you need a good read on your opponent to bet the river, with chceking being the default play.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Results

I don't think the opponent is incredibly passive here. He has a pocket over-pair in late position against an aggressive better that is leading out each round. It is a simple play to play behind and wait until a river bet to finally raise; in this case he didn't even have to do that since the poster went all-in anyhow.

What worries me is the opponent was limp-reraised preflop, a move that often says AA or KK. He had to be worried about pocket aces against him, especially in the face of the large betting aggression. Perhaps he just decided early to call down to the river regardless?

At what point did you ever think that perhaps the BB played loose and decided to hot-call the extra $10 with something like A5s and slow-play the trips behind you the entire way? Anytime someone cold-calls that much on the flop and turn should ring warning bells in your head.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:15 AM

I can't say I'm wild about the preflop play, but you did say it was an unusual play for you that you were using to remain unpredictable.

I like the bet on the flop. It's a nice size, but the call from opponent is scary.

On the turn, consider checking behind. QQ, getting ready to check-raise, is not out of the question in opponent's hand, though I have to admit that I put him on AQ, KQ, JJ, TT, or maybe AK (and a prayer). AA and KK seem remote, because he didn't reraise preflop. In any case, I don't see a lot of hands that you beat calling you here, but a check on the turn might inspire TT or JJ to bet out on the river.

On the river, this is an easy check behind. Nothing that you beat will call, except maybe KQ. Nothing that beats you will fold. Betting has almost no upside, but it has $94.15 of downside.