Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Picking on Vogl tonight

[ QUOTE ]
Calling an all-in with bottom pair?
Mis-reading your cards to see if you've got a flush draw?
Pushing your opponent all-in when you have middle pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by all these, but I watched the episode twice and saw no egregious blunders. The J-10 wasn't good, but wasn't the worst either.

That second pair was a no brainer, I believe.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:04 AM

For what it is worth, I know Vogl as a strong high-stakes backgammon player. I had no idea he played poker.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He was the first player to make me wonder if one giant streak of luck really could carry you through an entire tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it could.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:55 AM

I fully agree here. The commentators are too interested in trying to be witty and cute and too uninterested in giving credit where credit is due to guys who have a very skilled game going.

Of course nothing makes poker a sport since it's a table game. Maybe that's the larger problem. We've got dopey sportscasters involved because the salesmen are trying to sell it like it is one.

DMJ

[ QUOTE ]
Up until this point I have thought the ESPN coverage was very good (in previous years), but I thought these comments were really low class and brought the entire telecast down with it. I actually sent an email to ESPN stating how I felt and suggesting the commentator(s?) make an apology for their remarks. (Feel free to do the same at http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html or askespntv@espn.twdc.com )

Anyone that makes the final table (regardless of age, sex, race, etc, etc) is a damn good player and deserves respect not ridicule. Lets hope they get their act together, thoughtless comments like these are what prevent poker from becoming a fully recognized "sport".

J

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-12-2004, 12:01 PM

I thought he seemed like a very decent sort of guy and well mannered. I thought the BS heaped on him from the sports casters made Americans (to viewers overseas) look like boors.

DMJ
Old 07-12-2004, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vogl repeatedly demanded his opposition to call or fold, it was amazingly obnoxious.

Something like "quit fooling around, call call call call call." or "we all know your going to fold quit wasting time".

Seemed like he was a sulky kid who caught cards to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

kinda like chat that would appear at a play money table. bad play, obnoxious big talk, and lucky stars. hopefully he'll learn something about himself and his play if he decides to cintinue to play after watching the rebroadcast.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:25 PM

Yeah, that was pretty funny. One of them made a comment, "I'm sure hes shaved at least once." lol
Old 07-12-2004, 12:56 PM

Default man, you have no clue

Pushing your opponent all-in when you have middle pair?

GASP. scandalous!
Old 07-12-2004, 04:59 PM

I can't believe none of you recognized what he was wearing. Immediately when I saw his outfit and his last name I thought he was a Dutchman. The orange outfit was a Netherlands soccer warmup. I thought it was cool looking. All you old farts don't get European style. Next we'll see someone dissing Phil Ivey for wearing basketball jerseys at the table "ho, ho look at this it looks like jajamas" when he is wearing that Rocket's jersey.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:22 PM

nah, u can't bust the man on his style...you're right, its probably some soccer warmup from one of the european leagues that us overhere in the US would have no clue who it is.... honestly, if the joan rivers of poker wanted to put their critique where it belonged they'd go after that 50+ crowd that I saw on there. I mean, if we are going to be critical, let's be critical of all. And why should fashion matter one bit??? It amazes me at the people criticizing fashion, as if it should stay just how it was in the 1940's. I mean, if your gonna be critical, then pick on his play there were infinately more flaws in that then his dress...