Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2004, 02:04 PM

Default The worst run of my life- I need some help guys!

Hey i need some serious help. I am a young poker player but contain a reasonable amount of experience... I live in Utah where it is hard enough to find a good game. This last week i foung a great game with a lot of loose players. But it is No limit and they are insane. In the past week i have had pocket aces twice and all in pre flop and both times were called. both times players flopped three of the kind. Similiar with kings. Plus many more hands i have been raped on. It has changed me to a more timid players because everyone is going insane pre flop.

1. What can i do to get out of this terrible roll?

2. Does anyone know where any good Utah games are?
Old 07-13-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Re: The worst run of my life- I need some help guys!

I can't infer much about your skill, but it seems that in this game you are getting the best of it. Aces and Kings don't always win. You got all your money in pf against "crazy players," that's good. They flopped trips both times--oh well, sh*t happens.

Make sure you have enough money to withstand the swings and that you're comfortable at the stakes they're playing. This means that losing a buyin is no big deal.

Post some hands on the PL/NL forum and good luck to you.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:53 PM

My advice to you is to keep reading the posts on this message board until you see enough posts titled "young cardplayer with great skills on bad roll" that you say to yourself, wow, that used to be me, but now I know that this sort of stuff happens all the time and all I can do as a good cardplayer is play my odds for +EV in the longrun and enjoy the good hands that I get. This may or may not make much since to a newer player- but seriously this will happen as you advance. If you have not already, you need to read Theory of Poker by Sklansky. Hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. What can i do to get out of this terrible roll?

[/ QUOTE ]

Continue to get all-in pre-flop with pocket Aces and Kings against multiple worse hands.

If you think I am being sarcastic I am not. These are situation where you were far and away getting the best of it and you happened to lose. Sh*t happens! I don't play ring NL but if I did I would want to be all-in with those hands. I would be grateful to have been called. Now losing is not fun but you have to stay focused on making correct decisions. The reason not to go all-in with hands like AA and KK pre-flop is that you won't get any callers and these hands are worth much mor than the blinds. If you are in a game with players who will continually call all-in against dominating hands, then you are in a good game and should continue to make these moves. Eventually your hands will start holding up and you will book some wins.

All the best,

Colgin
Old 07-13-2004, 03:11 PM

Fold Aces and Kings preflop. They never win.

Seriously, though, poker's gambling. You get your money in with the best of it and hope for the best. In the long run, you'll win if you play g00t. In the short run, you're on your own.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:40 PM

Hang in there, champ. Be sure that you're always playing at stakes where you can "afford" to lose a couple of stacks without being completely crippled. In the long run, you'll come out ahead...but be ready for a few bumps along the way.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know where any good Utah games are?

[/ QUOTE ]
In a quiet room behind the caffine-free diet coke machine inside the Mormon temple... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2004, 07:20 PM

Poker is a game of very thin margins; thinner than most of us would ever like to admit. Losing can spawn many other evils in your poker game; you may make more loose preflop calls, you may push too hard postflop, you may fold too many hands incorrectly, you may do all of these things. Any one of these things is enough to bust you. Fast.

Add to this the fact that your opponents will respect you a hell of a lot less when you're losing, day in, day out, and you're in huge trouble. They'll start trying to push you off of hands, or they'll let you hang yourself. Either way, this can make the biggest winners losers in the games.

Your opponents are NOT inanimate morons; they do make perceptions about their opponents (you). Even if their actions are made for the wrong reasons, they can often have the correct effect. All told, losing can happen to ANYONE. I personally know a person who's one of the most respected posters on this board who recently endured a truly horrible run that almost distroyed his bankroll. You have no idea how bad it can get, but I - er, my friend - can tell you. The smallest misequilibrium can tilt the poker landscape from profitable to a money pit. If you keep your head about you and can adjust to your bad image, usually by playing really tight and unimaginatively, at least until things turn around a bit, you'll be better off. Trust me.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is a game of very thin margins; thinner than most of us would ever like to admit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Kind of another way of saying it's a game of the very long run.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:47 AM

My post had a lot more than that. Another way, poker is a game of the long run, but it is DYNAMIC, and if certain aspects aren't dealt with, then a winner (you) can be a loser. Then, you will NOT win in the long run; you'll go broke. This is a much more important point of poker than thinking "well, I'm assured to win in the long run." In an ideal world, yes, but in the real world, maybe not. I will let others elaborate.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:24 AM

If you do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around before playing, your aces and kings will never ever lose and you will become a pro and go on TV and play on World Poker Tour. That is what all the pros do.