Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem games?

So all the people on MTV that wear sunglasses inside got that idea from moneymaker too? The practice long outdates moneymakers appearance on espn...Come on really who gives a [censored] who wears what and why anyway? worry about yourself..
Old 07-12-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem ga

[ QUOTE ]
Phil Hellmuth usually wears a hat and glasses...Want him at your table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the advice on limit hold'em in his book, yes.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Why do people wear sunglasses in low-limit and mid-limit holdem games?

[ QUOTE ]
You guys look like idiots, you're not accomplishing anything, and you're likely driving off the type of player that you want at your table.

Put yourself in the shoes of a recreational fish, who is there to gamble, socialize and have a good time. Which of the following tables are you most likely going to want to sit at:

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you define as middle limits. I dont think its wrong to wear glasses at any limit above 2-4... if people choose to. Ive seen many "eye" tells in 5-10 games, maybe theyd look like tools but they'd make more money.

Recreational fish like playing with the sunglasses types from what Ive seen, they actually think its cool.

I personally would wear them a lot more often if I found them more comfortable. That being said I hardly ever wear them. I wouldnt wear them for image but rather so I could stare at people including the waitress and the guy flashing his hand every so often
Old 07-12-2004, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil Hellmuth usually wears a hat and glasses...Want him at your table?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-12-2004, 04:58 PM

I've found that its the younger players (including myself) that wear the shades at the B&M places I've been to.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:52 PM

in my experience in the games I play, the people at the table wearing shades are usually inexperienced and/or somewhat scared money. just a generalization, obviously not always true.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-12-2004, 07:25 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

I got to diablo's post and stopped. He said it right. Sitting at a table for hours the lights suck. Shades help to greatly cut the glare and make your eyes less tired.

There is one guy who has shades now with holographic eyeballs on them that i've played with. Now if he can learn to raise a nut hand on the river instead of just calling a single bet to close the action with 4 players in the pot he may be on to something.

Hiding tells? There are plenty of signs you can get without seeing a guys eyes.

Usually there will be a mixture of the 2 tables you described.

b
Old 07-12-2004, 09:10 PM

Poker teaches you to make assessments. Isnt that a great thing? You learn to humble yoruself, and not be so quick to make judgements about people. Poker forces you to make quick estimations of the measure of a person, yet showing up with some prejudice, quite simply, will cost you.

In poker, prejudged measurements will cost you. Accurate assessments dont.

Interestingly, it's what you cannot see with your eyes, but rather (to quote Dr, Al) it's what you sense, sometimes with your 'third ear'.

Is there a better way than poker to really know the essence a person in the shortest possible period of time?

The world's most magnificent "game".
Old 07-12-2004, 09:18 PM

Less tired?

Not. Here is an article on this subject from CardPlayer:

The Future's so Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades

From the article:
"For all of you who have never worn shades at the poker table, there are a couple of disadvantages: You get tired much quicker, and clubs look like spades."
Old 07-12-2004, 10:57 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

My eyes seemed to stay fresher longer. Especially on later nights. It may matter just how dark your shades are. I dont think the author is any more an optometrist than me in his opinion on this. However, Im talking more about eyestrain. Though the smoke still stings after awhile of sitting there.

I've been in rooms where they used a darker red on the cards so it was a bitch to distinguish colors even without shades. I didn't wear shades in there.

b