Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2004, 11:19 PM

Default Fox Sports - 3 announcers is too many.

Three announcers is too many for poker IMO, especially when none of them have a unique voice. I think if they found a somewhat humorous/somewhat poker savy host to pair up with howard, it would make for a better show.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Fox Sports - 3 announcers is too many.

I disagree. I think the WPT would benefit from a 3rd man in the booth, a guest pro who might contribute counterpoint to Mike Sexton.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:52 PM

Why talk like Howard can be a regular fixture.. he can only do this when he's knocked out early.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:00 PM

pay him and howard would sit out, just like mike sexton.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:14 AM

I love the announcing on fox sports. Even though I'm not too big on Konik (sp), having Howard there with clear and insightful commentary more than makes up for it. To Konik's credit, he has pretty good analysis as well, but never as spot on as Howard's. I also like the fact that there's so much poker shown, unlike ESPN's glossing over.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:18 AM

fox sports without a doubt as the best poker coverage on tv. its not even close
Old 07-12-2004, 12:24 PM

I can't speak for the commentary, because the volume was down and I couldn't hear much. But the graphics are AWFUL. They're not crisp at all, which makes it hard to tell in some cases what cards are held or on the board.

Two specific cases were a hand where someone had A4o and it looked like they could have had AA. Another was when someone had JTo, there was a T on the board and the 3d, which looked like the J, and made it hard to see how the guy was drawing dead to a set of 9's.

This is all on a good TV, even.

It's a lot like how the graphics for CBS's NFL coverage are much harder to read than FOX's.

ESPN's 2004 graphics are smaller, yet they're FAR easier to read.

Also, while they did quickly explain why the %-to-win didn't add up to 100% in some cases (chance for split pot), what they should have done is added a line below the hands that said: Split Pot: X% as well.

Lastly, they did a horrible job re-capping the final 7 or so (whenever they got down to 1 table, before cutting it off at 6 for the "final table"). They put up a graphic showing SEAT ASSIGNMENTS! No chip count, just who was where? How unimportant is that, since you'll learn it after about 1 hand shown.

Then they do the chip count, but they do it in seat order around the table, not starting from either chip leader or short stack and working down/up. AND, they only show one at a time, so you lose sense of relative chip positions.

Poor job keeping the pot size updated (I only ever saw a Pot Size graphic after someone had won the pot), but that's a problem everybody but the WPT has, in my experience.

Ugh.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:10 PM

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same. Wish Fox would show stack, blind, and pot size more.

Any idea, what Fox plans on doing in the future? Are they going to pick a tourney each month to follow?

I like the idea of showing the preliminary action up to the final table, over several weeks...it'd be kind of cool if the picked a tourney each month.