Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2004, 02:08 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default My First Stud Hand Post

I just got dealt rolled up 4's, but I wasn't sure when to slowplay, or not to slowplay. I read in the S/S section that you should never slowplay unless you have rolled up trips. but I remember reading in TOP that (AA)A should be slowplayed but smaller trips shouldn't.

I'm just playing .5/1 right now to get my feet wet. the ante structure is so high that I'm sure I'm playing way too tight.

Party Poker 0.50/1 (0.25 ante) Seven Card Stud High (8 handed)

3rd Street: (4 SB) Hero is Seat 4 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]<font color="blue">(8 players)</font>Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Action: Seat 8 brings it in for $0, Seat 1 calls, Seat 2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, Seat 5 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Seat 7 calls,25,

4th Street: (7 SB) Hero catches T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Action: Seat 7 checks, <font color="CC3333">Seat 8 bets</font>, Seat 1 calls, Seat 2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Seat 5 calls, Seat 7 folds, Seat 8 calls, Seat 1 calls, Seat 2 calls.

5th Street: (8.50 BB) Hero catches 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

<font color="CC3333">Action: Seat 2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Seat 5 calls, Seat 8 calls, Seat 1 calls $1 (All-In), Seat 2 calls.

6th Street: (17.50 BB) Hero catches 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Action: Seat 5 checks, Seat 8 checks, Seat 2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Seat 5 calls, Seat 8 calls, Seat 2 calls.

7th Street: (21.50 BB) Hero catches Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Seat 5 checks, <font color="CC3333">Seat 8 bets</font>, Seat 2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Seat 5 folds, <font color="CC3333">Seat 8 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Seat 8 calls.

Final Pot: 29.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13.50 BB, between Seat 1, Hero and Seat 8.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (13.50 BB).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 16 BB, between Hero and Seat 8.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (16 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Seat 1 shows 8d Ac Jd 6d 5c Js As (two pair, aces and jacks).
Hero shows 4d 4h 4s Td 9c 9d Qs (full house, fours full of nines).
Seat 8 shows 7c 6h 2h 6c 5s 4c 3d (straight, seven high).
Outcome: Hero wins 29.50 BB. </font>
Old 07-12-2004, 03:02 AM

Default Re: My First Stud Hand Post

I guess the major question you're asking is whether or not to complete 3rd street or not. With the weaklings that play these games, I don't even think they would think twice about your complete... though if it were more shorthanded or with smarter tougher players, calling to suck them in is fine.

Obviously the other streets are well played. Don't stop clicking bet/raise.

BTW, like I said in your earlier post, you may actually want to start off at a higher limit like 1/2 where you may feel like you're not pressured to play more hands because of the antes.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:15 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

well, in my life, I've played under 100 stud hands, so I just wanted to spend a night getting accomodated with the game.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:34 AM

on second thought, .5/1 is too bad. I just had a pair of tens showing, and I got called by a guy with a pair of fours.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:50 AM

Pooh-Bah Stief09 knows he can beat this game with his eyes closed, 100 hands or not. Pooh-Bah Stief should move up! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2004, 06:45 AM

first of all u should play the paradise .50/1.00 NO ANTE stud high game to get ur feet wet and I believe Stars has a good one as well although I've never played there. That one on party poker absolutely sucks and is frankly unbeatable long term because of that ridiculously high ante structure. You'll just obviously have to adjust ur starting requirements to extremely tight on 3rd in a no ante game, but it's probably the best way to learn.

As to the issue of your rolled up 4's and how to best play them, as always with poker it "depends". In general small trips should be played fast and more aggressively as they are vulnerable more so to drawing hands, but ur position, the action before it gets to you, the structure of the game, liveness of opponents cards should all be taking into consideration before deciding what to do. Roy Wests book is great for beginners by the way..good luck
Old 07-12-2004, 06:59 AM

How does a high ante structure make a game unbeatable? Taken to the extreme, it necessitates serious alterations from normally solid strategy, but does not make the game unbeatable, no?

-Michael
Old 07-12-2004, 10:15 AM

Stars has a .10 ante and you can bet/raise whatever you like and nobody will fold. I was playing yesterday and had As full of K's with all the Aces face up and some guy caught quad 9's on the river!
Old 07-13-2004, 07:12 PM

unless you are against good players you usually should raise with rolled up trips if they are low to medium. the reason is that you will be called anyway and you want as many callers as you can get. you will make money for sure raising here as opposed to calling.

note that at higher limits raising is often correct also but the reason is that you can disguise your hand better. but not always of course.

Pat
Old 07-13-2004, 07:15 PM

it will happen because the variation is higher the rake is high and you cant protect your hand.

by the way i am of the opinion that NO ONE should ever play that low, ante or not. most 1-5 games are soft enough that you can beat them easily. in my life i started out at 1-5, played about 5 hours and then moved up to 5-10 the same day.

Pat