Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2004, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Fold AK UTG?

[ QUOTE ]
Well yes, there are hands I will call with that I would fold to a bigger raise. The odds are better, and I would expect to win it often when I miss. But it doesn't matter anyway. A min raise is unlikely to get you position seeing the flop. That's what matters, at least to me. So many better things can happen when you limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you agree that open minraising narrows the field more than limping? It clearly puts a lot more pressure on the blinds.

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience, a lot of people facing a preflop min raise treat it as a limp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't treat it as a limp, and I think to do so is a clear mistake, as much as treating it as a 3 BB raise. I've seen it pick up the blinds many times. If people will call with every hand worth a limp, that is an exploitable mistake, which actually argues for minraising.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:03 AM

I'll actually call even more hands against a minraise. (Talk deep stacks here).
1. You can feel more comfortable putting the person on a big hand. So if you hit big, you are much more likely to win a huge pot.
2. When there has been a minraise, i feel less worried about somebody reraising behind me since they as well have to think the person has a big hand. I hate limping and then getting popped for a real raise. This makes me feel more comfortable that i am going to get in cheap.

If I have a stack that is 80x+ the BB, calling a minraise is pretty much like calling a limp..I even like it better.

The game is not who wins the most pots, but who wins the most money.
Yes raising or minraising makes it more likely you will win the pot. But minraising makes you vulnerable and easier to put on a hand.
You are likely to win a small pot or lose a huge one.

If you want to put pressure on the blinds, make a real raise, not a minraise.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:05 AM

Me too.

Just because I give somebody infinite odds, doesn't mean I am going to let them stack off on me.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you agree that open minraising narrows the field more than limping?

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably does. It's not really a major concern for me in this spot. All this stuff about narrowing the field and infinite odds seems more suited to limit poker than no limit in this situation.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Re: min raising

[ QUOTE ]
can you please explain why you think minraising is good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually no. And it isnīt good by most standards. It is said everywhere that you have to raise sufficiently to make the non-premium hands fold, limiting drawing hands.

The question was between limping or min raise. People said that min raise is not effective and then limping would be better option if you didnīt want to open raise big. Min raise can sometimes take off blinds, many times the most impredictable hands you can go against when you have AK.

It is open for discussion. Open raise is the best option, try to steal the pot there. and between limping and min riase what do you think?
Old 07-11-2004, 04:47 PM

when you limp there is a wide range of hands you can have. when you minraise, i say "hmm he probably has AKo, AQs/o, or AJs."
Old 07-11-2004, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Open raise is the best option, try to steal the pot there.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I'm UTG with big unsuited cards, trying to steal a pittance in the middle is not at the top of my priorities. Make the stacks shallower, or introduce an ante, and I will raise rather than limp.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll actually call even more hands against a minraise. (Talk deep stacks here).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, UTG minraises. You are UTG+1. With which hands would you call such that you would fold rather than overlimp? Please give concrete examples.

Do you feel inclined to play even more hands after UTG opens to 3.5 BB if the stacks are deep? How about 10 BB? Your points below seem to apply even more to larger raises.

[ QUOTE ]

1. You can feel more comfortable putting the person on a big hand. So if you hit big, you are much more likely to win a huge pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, in my experience, a minraise does not always mean a monster. Some people minraise with AQo, or Axs, or middle pairs, or suited connectors. I don't know why they do this, but you can't assume that someone will take a big pair too far every time you hit.

Second, if your opponent has a real hand, there is a greater chance that you lose to flush over flush, set over set, or top set over bottom 2.

[ QUOTE ]
2. When there has been a minraise, i feel less worried about somebody reraising behind me since they as well have to think the person has a big hand. I hate limping and then getting popped for a real raise. This makes me feel more comfortable that i am going to get in cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many people say they are very likely to reraise after a minraise, since if the minraise means AA they find out inexpensively preflop rather than after hitting the flop. I see many reraises after minraises. Don't you?

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to put pressure on the blinds, make a real raise, not a minraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Minraising obviously puts more pressure on the blinds than limping. Though you may be inclined to play more hands after a minraise than a limp, I think minraises succeed at narrowing the field. A normal raise might narrow the field more, but it costs a different amount, and builds to pot to a different extent. I see no reason to exclude the minraise from the arsenal of plays to use some of the time.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:01 PM

Default Changing the question a bit

And letīs reverse. How much would you call with AK?

Let me sya someone raises before you get to act. They showing you they have some hand. Maybe a Pocket Pair, AA, KK, QQ, JJ. what is the value of AK in this situation?
(I mean not heads up, but in a full ring game).
Old 07-11-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Changing the question a bit

[ QUOTE ]
And letīs reverse. How much would you call with AK?

Let me sya someone raises before you get to act. They showing you they have some hand. Maybe a Pocket Pair, AA, KK, QQ, JJ. what is the value of AK in this situation?
(I mean not heads up, but in a full ring game).

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems a completely different subject. I assume we are still in early position and someone else has opened for a raise. Depends on the money ratios. If it's over 10% of the relative stacks to call the raise, I don't call. I re-raise, or fold. If it's 10% or less then I call, or fold.