Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2004, 09:17 PM

Default Re: overpair out of position. advice?

[ QUOTE ]
This just sounds like weaktight thinking to me...I don't know why, someone please correct me if I'm wrong...In essence, you think that you lose more raising preflop, than you would on the entire hand limping in preflop? Do you people not want others at the table calling your preflop raises with Kx, Ax? I know I do. They are drawing to 3 outs, I suppose you are thinking of this in terms of as a collective the entire table is drawing out on you but I think that's the weak part of this....anyone disagree? other than 2283?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i think i will have a greater net gain limping here than raising long term. it seems like i win small pots or lose big ones with JJ out of position when i raise preflop.

i do want them calling my raises with Ax, Kx, Qx when i'm in late position because the pots i lose tend to be half the size and the pots i win tend to be twice as large.

[ QUOTE ]
Side note, nothing prevents you from raising preflop and then mucking your hand post flop if the board comes overs and you are bet into...if you can do that, and I know you can from playing with you, then this shouldn't be a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

the key for me is that im out of position. maybe i've just been a little unlucky with them but i feel like jacks dont hold up often enough for my liking. i've been beaten too many times by QQ, random 2 pair, Kx that catches, all kinds of draws, etc. being out of position means i have to bet enough to protect my hand but not so much that i find myself committed to a pot even when it looks like i've been outdrawn (as in this thread).

there seems to be some consensus though, i'm willing to try raising it for a while and see how it goes.