Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2004, 04:02 AM

Default AK vs AA, can i get away?

4 handed holdem .25 .50

I get AK UTG, i raise to 2.50, button raises to 4.50, i call blinds fold.

Flop K 7 A
I bet 10, he thinks for a while and raises 13.50(all in). I call, and he flips AA.

Anything i can do here? I feel confident he makes the same play with AQ or QQ.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:31 AM

Default Re: AK vs AA, can i get away?

[ QUOTE ]
I feel confident he makes the same play with AQ or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

You answered your own question.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that I like your bet amount on the flop, since allows him to get away from hands like JJ and QQ (but doesn't allow you to get away from your hand if he pushes). I think I prefer checking here, or maybe underbetting the pot, probably with the intention of getting all eventually by inducing a bluff. But at least that way I'm more likely to get all in those times that I'm ahead *and* those times that I'm behind, instead of losing a big pot when I'm behind and winning a smaller pot when I'm ahead.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel confident he makes the same play with AQ or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he's gonna do this with QQ? I think you should play this guy more regularly. You can't get away from this hand, I think you're doomed personally. Even if you only bet a small amount, are you really going to fold if he pushes? If you do you're playing far too tight. Remember, there are only 4 players in the game. You can't assume he has AA or KK because of his pre-flop raise, and a small or no bet will make him bet at you with anything anyway.

Suck it up and take it like a man when you give him your chips. These hands are always gonna hurt. If anything, I would recommend pushing against him pre-flop, assuming you've come to gamble a bit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Kaiser
Old 07-09-2004, 09:13 AM

Just reread Nate's post and understood it this time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I like the idea of underbetting the pot. My point was that you're not getting away from this hand. Another aspect here is that giving him a cheap card is very unlikely to hurt you.