Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2004, 09:17 PM

Default why not play one table

Hi,
everyone here always talks about multi tables never just one table. Mason states in poker essays a good player should earn 1.5bb per hour would that mean 3 bbs per hour online. Very intrested on peoples opinions about what they think could be earned online 1 table per hour.
thanks
Old 07-07-2004, 09:32 PM

Default Re: why not play one table

This is a silly question. How much that *can* be earned at a table depends on how soft that table is. A typical Party 0.5/1 table probably can be beaten by as much as 8-10BB/100, while a Party 15/30 probably can be beaten maybe for 2-3BB/100 by an expert player ( I pulled these numbers out of thin air, but undoubtedly a 15/30 game cannot be beaten for more than a 0.5/1 game, BB wise)
Old 07-07-2004, 10:14 PM

Coach,

Playing more than 1 table at a time..as long as it can be done without sacrificing too much in terms of "skill" does nothing but increase your earnings.

it is probably fair to say that playing 2 tables does not double your earnings compared to playing 1 table (in the long run) but it is considerably better than just playing the one...again..in the long run

as far as BB/100 earned, you'd have to ask around...but I would guess that people can often average 2BB/100/table over the long run..
Old 07-08-2004, 07:53 AM

I love this question. For me personally, I never multi-table my ring games on Party. Sometimes I'll have a ring game and a tourney going but thats it. Generally, I like to whack the resolution up to 800*600 and play one table.. either 5/10 or 10/20 6max. My argument is that players come and go so quickly on these tables that I really have to focus on who is sitting where and try my best to get good reads on them. For me this approach proves successful and my player notes are extensive (this spares the boredom when I am not in a hand)... from my last session, basic stats were: Hands:600 Flops:34% winsif flops seen: 48% and I finished up $1400 over about 6 hours. I didnt get lucky or unlucky, I took beats and I got breaks... but at the end of the day, I played my cards and the players on my table. And thats how it felt. I dont think that multi-tabling would increase my rate. I will say that last night I did have fairly strong hands and weak opponents, but I am usually making $100 an hour on 10/20 or $60-70 at 5/10.

Single tables rule yay!!

I think that playing 3 or 4 tables can have a detrimental effect. Paticularly with the weak players at Party, so often they'll steam after losing with a poor hand that made good on the flop only to be beaten at the river... and its these subtle things that I find I can pick up much easier playing just the one table. Anyway.. good luck all!

rosie [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2004, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
from my last session, basic stats were: Hands:600 Flops:34% winsif flops seen: 48% and I finished up $1400 over about 6 hours. I didnt get lucky or unlucky, I took beats and I got breaks... but at the end of the day, I played my cards and the players on my table. And thats how it felt. I dont think that multi-tabling would increase my rate. I will say that last night I did have fairly strong hands and weak opponents, but I am usually making $100 an hour on 10/20 or $60-70 at 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you claim you're making 5-7BB per hour, at mid-limit tables, and you further imply that this win rate is mostly due to your superior poker skills. You must play better than everyone who posts here, because no one else has every claimed to have a win rate like that over the long run.

You play goot? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2004, 08:49 AM

yep.. clearly I must be better than everyone else [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
or maybe I am just running hot.

Perhaps playing 1 table is a successful strategy then. Once I have a suitable number of hands in PT then I will post some more detailed stats. But I truly believe that playing discipline poker on one table at a time is a winning formula. I don't know if the number of hands I have played can be classified as "long run"... but I do believe that I am the best player at the table I am playing at. If not, I will move and find easier opponents. When there are 40K players at Party, its not hard to find a weak 10/20 or 5/10 table to take money from for a few hours. But I do think you need to watch that table the whole time. Playing 3 or 4 tables is distracting. Why don't you try it, for one session... just find a soft 10/20 6max table and play for 3 hours and see what happens?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:21 AM

Also, playing 34% of hands? So that puts your VP$IP at what, something like 25%? Isn't that a bit too high?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:47 AM

Local folk hero davidross is making something like 1.5BB/100 on Party 15/30 and he multitables something like 4 at a time. He has said that he earns more when the tables are fewer but it doesn't make up for the extra hand exposure that multitabling brings. I feel that I play far "better" on a single table with better reads, but I don't have enough data to tell what difference it is making cf to multitabling.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:57 AM

Playing the lower limit party games is more about finding good tables and taking money from the fish than anything else. As a result relatively straightfoward play is more than enough to beat the games. Since you are playing a fairly basic strategy additional tables don't really affect your win rate all that much.

There are quite a few people (who I believe) on here who claim to be averaging 3+BB/100 while playing 3 or 4 tables. Multitabling is one of the biggest advatages of online poker vs. B&M, it allows for a player with a relatively small bankroll to put as much money into play at a few tables as someone playing a higher limit would at one table and have a similar win rate but with a much lower varience.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, playing 34% of hands? So that puts your VP$IP at what, something like 25%? Isn't that a bit too high?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this person is playing the 6-max tables ... at least I hope so.