Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Picking on Vogl tonight

The whole time I was watching I told myself that the only reason they are making fun of him was because he won the whole thing... I guess it is a small price to pay for $400k. I suppose the humor was not any worse than Dave Foley on CP (and trust me, he's had some real winners... especially in the recent championship episode).

But yet if you lose a million playing craps in one day, it barely even gets a mention on ESPN...
Old 07-07-2004, 02:05 PM

Vogl's ability and fashion sense isn't the issue, it's the lack of professionalism on the part of the commentators (and by association ESPN and EOE as well because they allowed the comments into the final cut).

If Vogl was old it would be age discrimination, if he was black it would be racism, if he was gay it would be bigotry, etc, etc...because he is young and white it's ok? Come on.

J
Old 07-07-2004, 02:07 PM

No, it was because he was an arrogant little prick (Vogl).

Chad made fun of umberto brenes last year too - he has a fashion fixation.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:51 PM

Umm... how was he arrogant?

He admitted he wasn't good, he said he was understated. The only thing he did that annoyed me was call poker boring, but I can't get mad at his opinion.

And Umberto was asking to be made fun of last year.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:15 PM

Vogl repeatedly demanded his opposition to call or fold, it was amazingly obnoxious.

Something like "quit fooling around, call call call call call." or "we all know your going to fold quit wasting time".

Seemed like he was a sulky kid who caught cards to me.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:16 PM

Put me in the he's an arrogant prick camp.

[ QUOTE ]
Umm... how was he arrogant?

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole I'm not very good thing sounded like false modesty. The whole I don't like poker and I suck but look I can still beat you thing stricks me as arrogant. The trash talking at the table is arrogant. If he really doesn't think he is very good then why he is at the WSOP?
Being too good to pick up the money and play along with the camera's is arrogant.

[ QUOTE ]
And Umberto was asking to be made fun of last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

No more than Vogl. And if it needs to be said, yes, I'm sure he could wipe the floor with me. I just came away from watching the show last night thinking I have a new least favorite poker player. I was amazed to see all the dissing of Norman Chad and support of this guy. You have to admit Chad's line of "I've played that particular brand of strip poker myself" was pretty funny.

My .02.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:38 PM

Norman Chad's comments concerning his past marriages are tediously recycled.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:10 PM

We havent seent the show in the UK as yet, cant comment on the jumpsuit.

However having played with him last night in a B&M in London the comments on arrogance do not seem to ring true. He was at my table and there was certainly no sign of arrogance, self importance. He busted out and after he got up one of the regulars mentioned he had won and got the bracelet, a few others started congratulating him, rather than lapping it up he seemed more embarressed by the attention.

This could well be the reason he acted how he did (from what has been said) put a young man in a stressful, unsual situation throw a load of cameras and microphones in his face and have him playing for hundreds of thousands of $'s and it could be you get an out of character reaction from him.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:12 PM

I noticed this too and thought that it quite possibly was the reason that Chad was picking on him...
Old 07-07-2004, 09:16 PM

No, the talking to other players that I thought I saw was no reaction to the environment, it seemed to me to be a combination of arrogance and purely trying to intimidate the other players. I could be reading to much in to it, but I got the impression after a while that David Chiu didn't much appreciate his style either, and it was nice seeing him smoke Vogl for some big chips during the middle of the final table.