Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Three hands in a low limit NL game

Here are three hands I played yesterday, all my plays were questionable I think. I often give players too much credit at NL25 on Party. But it seems like the times where I figure they are just being poor players are the times that I end up getting beat. Advice on any of the three hands would be great.

Hand 1

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed)

BB ($28.55)
UTG ($17.50)
MP ($20.50)
CO ($61.20)
Hero ($88.25)
SB ($17)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Ah, Ad.
UTG calls $0, 1 fold, CO calls $0, Hero raises to $3, 1 fold, BB calls $2,50,50,50, UTG folds, CO folds.

Flop: ($7.25) 6s, Jc, 7c (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $7, BB calls $7.

Turn: ($21.25) 6d (2 players)
BB bets $18.55 (All-In), Hero folds.

Final Pot: $39.80
Main Pot: $21.25, won by BB.
Pot 2: $18.55, returned to BB.

Results below:
No showdown. BB wins $39.80.

I asked the player what he had, he didn't respond, so I said "at least lie to me" and he said "sorry, at another window" then he said "69 of clubs" "honest" I put him on a set, thats why I folded. I actually thought he probably had JJ or 77, when the 6 came, I was even more convinced i was beat. The only legiment hands I had beat were KJ AJ or a bluff. When he was first to act, he hesitated before he acted, so I was looking for a trap. This may have been because he was playing multiple tables, who knows, but the instant all in on the turn was also fishy.

Hand 2

Do I raise this with 9s up? in heinsight I think he'd have called a raise, but I was sure enough that I had the best hand to call, but not sure enough to raise. I was afraid of like A9, AJ or something slowplayed.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

MP2 ($41.32)
MP3 ($29)
Hero ($46.80)
Button ($22.50)
SB ($41.45)
BB ($12.40)
UTG ($67.90)
UTG+1 ($26.45)
UTG+2 ($46.05)
MP1 ($34.53)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8h, 9h.
UTG calls $0, 1 fold, UTG+2 calls $0, 3 folds, Hero calls $0, 2 folds, BB checks,50,50,50,

Flop: ($2.25) Ah, 8d, 5s (4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $2, BB folds, UTG calls $2, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: ($6.25) Jc (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: ($6.25) 9s (2 players)
UTG bets $5, Hero calls $5.

Final Pot: $16.25
Main Pot: $16.25, between Hero and UTG. > Pot won by Hero ($16.25).

Results below:
UTG shows Qc Ad (one pair, aces).
Hero shows 8h 9h (two pair, nines and eights).
Outcome: Hero wins $16.25.

I obviously should have raised this particular hand, but I had just sat down at the table and didn't know anything about the player. In most cases, what should I have done?

Hand 3

This hand happened at a NL25 table on Party. What do you think?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

UTG+2 ($28)
MP1 ($22.52)
MP2 ($12.50)
MP3 ($43.68)
CO ($25)
Button ($29.78)
SB ($14.50)
BB ($32.05)
UTG ($24.27)
Hero ($10)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Qh, Qc. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG raises to $24(All-In).

I've got $10 and I've got QQ. Can I call this wild all in?
Results in White
<font color="white">Turns out he had 99 and I did call. I won the pot. </font>
Old 07-07-2004, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Three hands in a low limit NL game

Hand 1 --&gt; smart laydown...while there are a lot of stupid players in the PP NL25 games, too many marry their overpairs on a draw-happy board

Hand 2 --&gt; you had position and two pair against a relatively weak bettor, not sure why you didn't take advantage [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Hand 3 --&gt; I'll pretend you didn't even ask this one...
Old 07-07-2004, 02:51 PM

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I disagree with Richie entirely about the first hand. I would probably call this bet here. You were the raiser preflop and followed through on the flop. If you have a legit hand it is probably either JA or an overpair. You could have been bluffing or betting through your pocket 99s. Why would your opponent go all in here on the turn if he has you beat? You are not going to call with anything less than an overpair or JA. If you have either of these hands you will continue to bet the turn here if he checks. By going all in all he is doing is scaring away a bluffer and lessening his chances of taking your money with your overpair. I would definitely call.

Second hand: I think raising a callable amount is perfectly fine here.

Third hand: From my experience, most of the time when you see somebody throw a wild bet out there usually doesn't have pocket qqs beat. I have seen weak players do this with pocket aces, but most of the time it's with a hand that they don't want to see a flop with, such as Jacks. I would call this bet unless I knew otherwise.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:55 PM

Thanks.

Hand 1: Was just thinking that most people slowplay a boat, that was my only fear that I may have had him beaten. I still stand by my decision though.

Hand 2: I was afraid that a raise would open myself up to a reraise. Lets suppose that I do raise it, say to 15, then he pushes. We've each got big stacks for NL25, so thats a huge risk for the size of the blinds. There are so many hands that make two pair that have me beat, as well as 67 chasing his OESD and hitting(that is exactly how I'd expect someone to play that hand). I thought I was ahead, but the chance of a reraise and losing a lot was still a reality. The ammount I'd win from the raising compared to how much I'd lose to a reraise-fold or a reraise-call didn't seem worth it. Too many other chances to take money from these players.

Hand 3: Turns out he had 99. I call and win the pot. Silly NL25 players....God I love those tables. If only my monitor was big enough to have 63 tables open at once
Old 07-07-2004, 02:59 PM

Just remember, on Hand 1, NL25 are not as logical as you. There thought process is more like..."If I hit that 'X' I'll win this hand.... OH MY GOD!!! I'VE GOT THE NUTS!!! ALL-IN!! ALL-IN!! ALL-IN!!!!!!!"
Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 PM

I'll amend my initial response to Hand #1 by stating that our Hero was not on a "draw-happy" flop with his AA. His PF raise, however, indicated strength...I'd say AA/KK/QQ/JJ/TT/AK/AQ/AJ. When BB went all-in on the turn, I think villain was confident that he could beat our hero's possible hands. Unfortunately, he hasn't gained enough experience to know the value of milking his opponents, yet.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:03 PM

That just reminds me of something that makes me chuckle everytime I think about it.

Foxwoods has a NL100 game, and the pit bosses try to advertise for it because the rake is $5/halfhour per player.

They say over the loudspeaker, "Come play the most exciting game around! NO LIMIT TEXAS HOLD'EM! GO-ALL-IN...Like the pros!!!"

My buddies and are just drooling as the fish come over and drop $300 in 3 hands before they get up and leave.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:04 PM

My thoughts exactly.