Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2004, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Fold AA after being capped.

First of all, he's not tight/aggressive. By definition, a tight/aggressive player will not call down 88 on an AAK flop when he's raised. You're mixing up tight/aggressive with loose passive (and, incidentally, this goes for you, too; if you are bet at on that flop with tens by what you think is a tight aggressive player, FOLD.)

Second: Unless you factor in deception, ANY player with any shred of decency in his game is going to cap QQ preflop. Most people will also cap JJ heads up, although a few will not. If the only hands you cap preflop are AA or KK, you are making a pretty big mistake.

Third: Throw the last paragraph out the window. Take every hand he could conceivably have that a reasonable player would cap the flop with (AA-JJ, AQ, various pair+flush draw combos, 77.) Two aces, one Q, one J and one 7 are accounted for. How many ways can he have something that beats you (hint: 10) and how many ways can he have something that you beat (hint: a whole lot more than 10)?

Go read all of the 2+2 books. You just lost enough money to buy one of them with on this hand alone.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go read all of the 2+2 books. You just lost enough money to buy one of them with on this hand alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Skalansky bucks or real bucks? Cuz you can't buy anything with the first.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Skalansky bucks or real bucks? Cuz you can't buy anything with the first.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure it was real bucks. With the 88 hand later, this was almost certainly an overplayed AQ (or KQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]).
Old 07-06-2004, 11:42 PM

You really cannot be making laydowns like this in these Party low limit games. UTG could have KK, KQs, AQ, etc. There are now 16 SB in the pot. At worst slow down and call him down. He may be on a draw, he may have top pair. I don't think you are necessarily behind right here, I can recall numerous times and numerous players who would be on a draw, have TPTK or have AKo and cap with the inside straight draw, trying to blow you off of KK, AK, etc.

I would call on the flop and lead into him on the turn again. If he raised, maybe you can slow down, but I am not so sure that I would unless he three bet me on the turn.

Gojacketz
Old 07-07-2004, 05:08 AM

I have a pretty simple strategy with AA heads-up.

-Always go to showdown no matter what hits.
-Bet/Raise at every opportunity until at least two bets have gone in on the turn, at which point I will consider calling down if I have not yet improved.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:50 AM

Wada, just because I think it might be helpful to you, I'm going to summarize and clarify the advice of the board and the rationale behind it.

1. There is a big difference between calling a 3-bet and making a 3-bet. Most anyone who raises preflop is going to see the flop for one more SB, and therefore, you can't assume that his hand was worthy of being 3-bet, and you definitely can't assume a large pocket pair.

2. A flop cap usually indicates a strong hand, but this doesn't mean you are beat. KQs and AQ might play this the same way, especially if they believe you're capable of folding. There is no reason to suspect QQ, JJ or QJ over these hands.

3. You're getting 17:1 pot odds by calling the capped flop, and 5:1 pot odds calling this down. You have 2 outs against a set, 5 outs against two pair, and are ahead of any flush draw (against which you have outs) or top pair. You simply can't let go of this hand for 1 SB, and IMO you need to take this to the showdown even if it means check-call on the turn and river.

There are very few times you should release AA. This usually involves a lot of people actively engaging an ugly board that didn't improve your hand. That is the exception rather than the rule. For 5 SB, show it down.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:53 AM

I don't like that he caps the flop either, but I don't think you can go away here.

Leading on the turn to put him to the test is an ok move, as some have suggested, but calling him down is also fine given that there's no overlay from other players and you can't fold to a turn raise.

Note that some players will get very agressive heads up, and if he has a hand with a queen in it this isn't a startling play for him.

I'm not as confident as some other's that your opponent would cap PF with JJ or QQ so you could be massively behind. But this also looks like the way somebody could play A-Q. Some players would play KK like this too--they won't cap the PF because they assume you have an ace with your three bet and they want to see if an ace falls on the flop, then they go nuts.

Those aren't all the hands that you beat that can be played this way, but you get the idea...and that ignores the guys who make moves at you for no apparent reason. You can't afford to fold here.

If you never folded AA you probably wouldn't be making much of a mistake. I folded AA yesterday, for the first time in the 97 AA hands I have in pokertracker, so its something I rarely do. There have been plenty of times I've thought, there's no way my Aces can still be good, made the crying calls anyway, and dragged 15 or 20 BB pots.

Also in this hand you have the backdoor nut flush and nut straight draws.

Oh, and the odds of spiking your third ace by the river with two cards two come is around 11-1. Its about 22-1 for each street.

--Zetack