Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2004, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Norman Chad

I got so tired of the "young" jokes. Yes, he's younger than everyone else at the table. But it's not as if he's in 5th grade trying to play poker. The guy is 24. And he doesn't even really look that young. Being someone who looks young for my age myself, this is a sensitive subject for me. If I were James Vogl tonight, I'd be pissed watching myself on tv and rather than hearing about how great I'm playing, I have to hear this numbskull make cracks about my age and my sweatshirt.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:13 AM

If I were Vogel, I'd literally clocking him next time I saw him wondering the WSOP. Pretty immature, I know.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:42 AM

It's a sad state of affairs when the best poker commentator on television is on Celebrity Poker Showdown (Phil Gordon).

- uwmadtown
Old 07-07-2004, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The rabbit cam is entertaining but it could start to make people think that the players' decisions to fold were right or wrong solely based on what the river card was instead of piecing together incomplete information

[/ QUOTE ]

this is EXACTLY what i think it will do. and i'm all for it.

i am hoping this effects the fish-pool and their logic in my tourney play....
instead of calls being based on one's chances of winning and where they likely stand in the hand we may get even more calls based on 'well, if the next card is a 9 then i made the right call'.

why on earth would i want the announcers actually giving good advice to the masses??

i didn't see the episodes last night (yet...i'm sure there will be a zillion re-runs)...but i must say i am a bit surprised at the massive panning of chad's commentary. while i disagreed with much of his analysis of the 2003 WSOP coverage, i thought he did a decent job explaining the game and the personalities to a bunch of people who mostly had no clue what was happening.

however, everytime i see a TKK flop and he gets on the case of the guy with T9 in a 4-way pot because 'hes ahead in the hand' i kind of cringe.
hello Chad?? he doesn't see the other players' hole-cards...all he sees are K's on the board and that other guy's bet with QJ ("ONLY a straight draw") means he also might have trips OR a T with a better kicker from the perspective of the T9 guy.
he just doesn't do a lot of advanced thinking or board-reading of what a bet from 'the other player' might be representing to the guy who may have the best hand, albeit a weak one.

sexton has been doing a much better job of late of explaining things like
'with 3 clubs on the board, he has to be afraid of a flush....but he doesn't know that the other guy is just on a straight draw...and that bet from the straight-draw can very easily look like he just hit his flush.'

i still think the WPT announcing leaves a lot to be desired. but sexton is more frequently talking about what a player is 'representing' when he bets and how a scary board combined with a bet from a guy who is only on a draw can provoke a player with middle-pair to fold the best hand.

he is also talking more in terms of aggressive bets to take pots, etc etc and is providing more accurate and insightful analysis.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:31 AM

You aren't James Vogel?

James Vogel probably wouldn't have heard of Meijers.

-Michael
Old 07-07-2004, 11:43 AM

I was sort of wondering if you were vogl.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-07-2004, 12:07 PM

So did anyone else like Vogl's quote at the very end, "I'm not going to hold the money up. I'm British you know, we're kind of reserved..."

I thought it was hilarious.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a sad state of affairs when the best poker commentator on television is on Celebrity Poker Showdown (Phil Gordon).

- uwmadtown

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Howard Lederer's commentary on Fox Sports is very, very good. I think it's by far the best on TV.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- uwmadtown

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Howard Lederer's commentary on Fox Sports is very, very good. I think it's by far the best on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I'm sure it is. Haven't gotten a chance to see that yet, but I'd imagine Lederer would be able to do far, far better than most of the commentary and would be better than Gordon.

- uwmadtown
Old 07-07-2004, 02:04 PM

I found Chad to be moderately annoying, but unlike VVP, I haven't listened to Chad repeating the same ten stupid lines over and over for a season. Don't know if Chad will, but until then, it's a refreshing change of dialog.

And it isn't Jesse May.