Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Re: How to deal with Flush Freaks on Party Poker

You should be thrilled for a draw to be calling your trips...you should be getting as much money in as you can while you're ahead, and charge them the max to draw out on you, whatever you think they'd call. If that means pushing all in, by all means do it, for the love of god man, do it.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:28 PM

OK, thanks everyone for the encouragement. I do usually bet the pot or slightly more to gouge for the flush or straight draw to my trips. I have considered pitting top pair top kicker against drawing hands (i.e. AK with 2 suited cards and ace or king on flop). I had seen this in part of Doyle Brunson's Super System, though I am admittedly reluctant to try it. In answer to the one comment I am currently reading Skalansky's Theory of Poker. He says basically the same thing you guys did, in the long run when your opponent outdraws you with incorrect pot odds you win in the end. It's just it sometimes hurts in the short run and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I now purposely make an effort not to blow drawers out of the pot by betting all in, unless one or more opponents are extremely aggressive with draws and I am relatively sure they will call or better yet if they are pot committed on the turn and the third suited card has not come [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Well, off to wait patiently for statistics to kick in...

The Shoesnatcher
"You missed your flush, give me your shoes!"
Old 07-07-2004, 12:50 AM

In the often complex world of NL/PL, this answer is refreshingly simple:

What's the difference between chasing in Limit and chasing in NL? In Limit Holdem it is almost always correct to draw to a flush, because hardly any bet will alter the better than 2:1 odds of making that flush by the river. In NL, on the other hand, a bettor has greater control over the pot size.

Sklansky's Theorem states that you make money whenever your opponent makes mistakes. Therefore, if you bet all-in with a made hand versus a flush draw (heads-up), you are offering less than 2:1 to the caller. This is a losing proposition for your opponent. If you've been burned by a few of these type of situations lately, take heart; your opponents have been getting lucky. It happens.