Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2004, 07:22 PM

Default Fouled-Up Flopped Full House

Party 3-6 or 5-10, can't remember which, was playing both at the time.

I get a free ride in the BB with 83o and see a flop of 833. SB checks to me, I check, hoping to smooth call a bet from LP (the only other player to the flop) and keep 'em both in, but alas, LP checked behind.

turn is an offsuit A. Now hoping to CR, when SB checked to me I check. Alas, LP checks behind again.

River Q. Check, check, check.

So where did i screw up? Do you bet the flop, figuring nobody that's in is going to fold to those rags?

Do you go for a bet on the turn or attempt the CR as i did? Do you finally give up on the CR and bet the river?

How much does the situation change if instead of being against SB and LP, I am against, say, 2 LP's or an LP and an EP?

Comments appreciated.

--Dan
Old 07-06-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Fouled-Up Flopped Full House

I like to bet the turn there. It makes it look like you're betting just b/c it was checked to you 2x in a row and you might be bluffing.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:31 PM

hahahaahah

dude, bet somewhere. preferably the turn.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:47 PM

Dan,

You have to at least bet the turn here and hope the ace caught somebody. I mean, you have most of the cards anybody is going to want to play with. The pot is a grand total of 3sb. You can't really count on someone taking a stab at this pot on the turn for the heck of it.

-Jarid
Old 07-06-2004, 07:56 PM

If you bet out on the flop you'll probably get callers and you won't scare anyone with a checkraise. No one will give you credit for a hand with a flop like that. You'll probably get called by any overcards. And once you are called on the flop you're likely to be called down the whole way.

Going for a checkraise also doesn't work very well on a flop that ragged with no preflop raiser.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:03 PM

This post must be a joke.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:13 PM

I'ld bet the flop...otherwise, I'm waiting until sixth street.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet out on the flop you'll probably get callers and you won't scare anyone with a checkraise. No one will give you credit for a hand with a flop like that. You'll probably get called by any overcards. And once you are called on the flop you're likely to be called down the whole way.

Going for a checkraise also doesn't work very well on a flop that ragged with no preflop raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I like this line best I guess. Nobody will be scared by the flop bet, and I thought about that at the time, but it didn't occur to me that that would actually *increase* the liklihood of them calling (or even betting) the rest of the way.

Just to clarify, I didn't intend to CR the flop, only the turn or river. So I wasn't worried about scaring anyone out with that move there, but was hoping they would both stay in when LP bet. I agree it was a bad move not to bet the flop.

Normally, I would bet this river, if not before, but my thoughts there were that the opponents had been so weak in this hand that at least one, if not both, of them was likely to fold for one bet, and if i could induce a river bet from LP, I might be able to gain an extra one with a raise.